587,132 active members*
2,806 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Monarch VMC-24 wih FANUC oi-MC - (M06) Tool Change No Working

Monarch VMC-24 wih FANUC oi-MC - (M06) Tool Change No Working

First let me start by saying that this is the first CNC machine and controller that I have ever worked with, other then the home build CNC router I made.

I am hoping someone may be able to help with the issue I am having with this machine. My work purchased a used Monarch VMC-24 with a FANUC oi-MC controller, from a small shop that was going to contract out their CNC work instead of doing it in house. The machine was being used up till the day before it was being moved and I seen it in operation, so I know there were no issues with it at that time. Once the machine was delivered to our shop, I spend my spare time between jobs, over the next few months, getting it leveled, air lines run to it and getting the power connected. I did have it temporarily powered up a few times over those months, but not for more then an hour at a time.

I should also mention that we got all the tool holders with the machine, as the company no longer needed them, so all the off-sets and any other information for the tools was still stored in the machines memory.

Well I finally had some time this week to power up the machine, so I could get familiar with the controls and I wanted to start installing the tool holders in the magazine. Unfortunately when I try to call for a tool change (M06) in MDI mode, I get and error "078 NUMBER NOT FOUND". Now when I call for the tool, the magazine does rotate to the position the tool is suppose to be in. The issue seems to be that the machine does not recognize the (M06) command.

After doing some searching on the internet, the only thing that makes sense is that the tool changing macro is no longer stored in the machine. Either from me accidently deleting it when I deleted all the old part programs from the previous owner or from sitting so long without power and the back-up battery going dead. Not sure which one is more likely?

I am wondering if any one knows how I can replace the missing macro by either writing it myself or downloading it from some place? Is this something I need to get from machines manufacturer or from FANUC?

Is there a way I can test to see if there are any other missing macros?

Thanks,
    CB

Re: Monarch VMC-24 wih FANUC oi-MC - (M06) Tool Change No Working

Hi,

Look in the original Monarch manuals, not Fanuc,
    In these manuals you have to find the M06 macro.

Regards,
    Heavy_Metal.

I looked through all the machine manuals, but not mention of the M06 macro or any other macros. It does contain a full list of the parameters though. I have not made any changes to the parameters and I made sure to back-up all the various machine settings onto a compact flash card today. I should of done this the first time I powered up the machine and before I deleted any part programs. Live and learn I guess.

Will try contacting Monarch and see if they can help with the macro.

I also discovered that this machine was sold under the name FIRST V600, in case someone happens to have one of those machines.

A parameter among 6080-6089 has 6 stored in it. This makes M06 call a mecro among O9020-9029 which got deleted.
    If you cannot get the macro, just clear these parameters, and M06 would work normally. You will need to insert all safety lines before commanding M06.

I contacted Monarch and described the situation that was happening. They confirmed it was a missing macro and using the serial number from the machine were able to provide me with the macro in text format, that shipped with that machine.

I will enter it into the machine and see if that fixes the issue. Will post an update here when I have it done next week,

I manually entered the macro code that Monarch gave me and the tool changer is now functioning again.

I made sure to put a printed copy of the macro with the machine manuals.

Thanks everyone for you input.