587,482 active members*
3,426 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > HELP NEEDED - machining shaft for lathe

HELP NEEDED - machining shaft for lathe

I cannot find a smaller machinist in my area (Atlanta) willing to help (most specialize in larger projects). Maybe someone on this forum can help machine a simple shaft and I can pay with Paypal or other means to have it shipped to me; or maybe someone can direct me to a right resource? Here are the details of what is needed to be machined:

Headstock shaft for an antique lathe. 20mm diameter. 7.25" total length.(yes, diameter is in metric ~.79" but everything else is in imperial). 1.25" of one end of the shaft is threaded and the remaining 6" is just plain 20mm shaft. The thread is male 3/4" 16TPI. Naturally, having as little run-out as possible since the male thread will be holding a chuck for lathe.

If possible, having a MT1 taper on the threaded side will be a huge bonus as long as it does not complicate things too much.

Thanks again and please advise if this is posted in the wrong section of the forum.

Re: HELP NEEDED - machining shaft for lathe

The problem is the cost to make one spindle for a lathe heat treating and finish grinding would be expensive as the bearing surfaces are very close tolerance.