587,645 active members*
3,067 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

G0704 motor replacement

I do not know why but I think the stock motor (or the controller) on my G0704 is on the fritz. It loses torque for no reason and even when it's at full torque it will only spin at very high speed, which means you can't drill steel with it (work hardening).

I'm really considering replacing it with the D80C motor, but so few information are out there for it, and I emailed Benchtop Precision about motor replacements and got no reply (is he on vacation, or he got sick of dealing with belt drive kits?)

So for the D80C frame it seems there's a lot of 3800rpm motors, and that's too fast in my books for anything but carving aluminum... I'm looking at the .75KW D80C motor instead, which spins at 1750rpm and can be easily slowed down with the VFD to a suitable speed. Question is, is that much of an upgrade over stock motor?

Re: G0704 motor replacement

Check out my thread from a few weeks ago:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...r-upgrade.html

I was put on to this particular motor: Marathon Y284 1.5 HP Electric Motor at Dealers Electric

I just ordered one to go with my new VFD, but its a pretty damn stellar bang for buck.

The reason I go with the D80C frame is because it weights about 20lbs, about 10lbs more than stock but it's a lot more motor. That 50lb motor I'm afraid it won't fit (I think it's a lot larger than D80C) and it may weight so much that it will wear out the dovetails...

I just got the VFD. I'm able to run it with a 110 line. Thing is I found I have to play with the V/F curve because otherwise the low end torque is very low (low enough grabbing the spindle will stall it) but once the V/F curve is set right the torque is unbelievable. I have found the motor gets hot if the min voltage and intermediate voltage is set too high, so I can't run this too long...

I can't install it to the mill just yet however, I have to wait for Benchtop Precision to ship the new motor plate.

Quote Originally Posted by taiwanluthiers View Post
    The reason I go with the D80C frame is because it weights about 20lbs, about 10lbs more than stock but it's a lot more motor. That 50lb motor I'm afraid it won't fit (I think it's a lot larger than D80C) and it may weight so much that it will wear out the dovetails...
    This is why I have built in a 70lb counterweight gas spring into my Z axis. Also, it will fit quite well on the mill, as others have done so in the past.

What's wrong with the D80C motor? It performs fine as it is, and many people have done the mod and they have all worked well. I mean it's aluminum frame, but it sounds like better cooling

Also, what alternative do I have for BTP's D80C motor plate? Benchtop Precision has been very slow to respond and I do not know if he will ship it anytime soon. I need that motor plate...

Quote Originally Posted by taiwanluthiers View Post
    What's wrong with the D80C motor? It performs fine as it is, and many people have done the mod and they have all worked well. I mean it's aluminum frame, but it sounds like better cooling

Also, what alternative do I have for BTP's D80C motor plate? Benchtop Precision has been very slow to respond and I do not know if he will ship it anytime soon. I need that motor plate...
    If it works, it works. I chose my route because it fits my machining design intent the best, if the D80C is right for you then absolutely go that route!

If you model up a plate I can make it and send it your way if you can't get in touch with BTP. Shoot me an email Colin at Dubmfg.com

I already paid but BTP seems to be too busy. I'll see if they are too busy to answer a paypal dispute if they still remain unresponsive in 2 weeks. I'm just thinking of drilling holes in the stock motor plate if nothing comes...

As far as measurements I will need to get home to measure, but it's basically one big hole in the middle and 4 smaller holes around for the mounting bolts, and a hole on one side, and a curved slot on the other to mount onto the belt drive kit. I need to get back to you about the actual dimension. I can do it myself but with no motor on the mill I can't exactly use it... I am planning on just drilling holes in the stock motor plate with a hand drill or something.

If BTP is so busy with so much orders they should probably grow the business by hiring a staff to deal with it... or find a way to automate the ordering and shipping process. I'm sure USPS/USP have solutions like this for small e commerce outfit. There's no excuse to promise to ship immediately and then not respond or ship for weeks because they're "busy".

I drilled some holes in the stock motor plate... I do not know what happened to BTP but they are clearly too busy to fill orders.

I was able to install the motor but with some difficulty. I had to modify a cap bolt to fit that tiny little space between the motor and the motor plate. Also, one big problem is I can't fully tension the belt without hitting the column. Not sure what I can do because I'm not ready to install any spacer mod yet. Does anyone make custom belts that's slightly shorter?

I was able to cut pre hard 4140 steel at a DOC of .100 with a 1 inch HSS end mill! The torque at low end isn't full 1.5HP but I was able to set the VFD in such a way that it retained low end torque, however I need some better way to cool the motor because at slow speed it does get hot. I managed to stall it a few times when I was overzealous with the feed rate but otherwise it powers through hardened steel easily.

The stock motor couldn't cut that material at less than half the depth of cut, and furthermore the stock motor would speed up for no reason, dulling HSS bits.

We are not too "busy" to fulfill orders. We are doing exactly that.... fulfilling orders. I'm not sure where you're getting "weeks" from or that I promised to ship immediately? You placed an order last Wednesday the 2nd, which was immediately followed by an email asking when we would be shipping your order. I promptly replied letting you know that we are busy, and it would likely go out this week of the 7th. Just wanted to clear the air on the misinformation being spread.
    www.benchtopprecision.com
    | BF20/G0704 Belt Drive Kits | X2 Mini-Mill Belt Drive Kits |

And also using a PayPal dispute to get my attention is very unprofessional.
    www.benchtopprecision.com
    | BF20/G0704 Belt Drive Kits | X2 Mini-Mill Belt Drive Kits |

Quote Originally Posted by BTP View Post
    And also using a PayPal dispute to get my attention is very unprofessional.
    Its the instant gratification crowd these days eh? Keep on killing it @BTP.