587,480 active members*
3,493 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: Operator Control Panel for CNC Mill

Quote Originally Posted by engnerdan View Post
    Another step closer, both of the pivots/hinges are done.

Attachment 336618

Now I just need to get the "spine" that holds both pivots to the machine made and I can hang the enclosure.

-Dan
    Looking good!! I am taking a simplistic approach, I want to use the touch screen as much as possible but have critical buttons available for quick access. So E stop of course will be easily accessible, and I will use the pendant to double as the jogging keys and fit right on the panel face with a little recess to be flush with the main control face.. do you have any key wants for your buttons? Which ones to use etc?

Chris

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

Re: Operator Control Panel for CNC Mill

Quote Originally Posted by lcvette View Post
    Looking good!! I am taking a simplistic approach, I want to use the touch screen as much as possible but have critical buttons available for quick access. So E stop of course will be easily accessible, and I will use the pendant to double as the jogging keys and fit right on the panel face with a little recess to be flush with the main control face.. do you have any key wants for your buttons? Which ones to use etc?

Chris

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk
    As of right now the only switches I know I am going to have are
    Cycle Start
    Feed Hold
    E-Stop
    CPU Power
    CNC Power
    Program Stop
    Program Rewind (go to the beginning).

Switches I would like
    Feed Rate Override
    Rapid Override
    Spindle Override
    Tool length set (record to the tool table the length of a new tool)
    Go to machine home (move Z up and bring the table front and center for part loading/unloading)
    All Coolant off
    Air Blast on
    MQL On

Basically I think I will end up with most of the functions that are on the Mazak control panel below the keyboard.

I have over 50 other buttons modeled but I am not sure how many will actually get added to the panel and what they will be used for. Or how I will accommodate them yet. You mentioned using the touch screen for as much as you can, and I am trying that now but the buttons in KMotionCNC are a little small to hit at times. But they did just release a new screen editor so I can resize the buttons to be easier to use. The thing to keep in mind is there is no tactile feedback to a touchscreen button and I personally don't like using them for anything that could result in disaster if pressed accidentally. Its not hard to catch the wrong job button or accidentally have a stray finger contact on a button next to the one you intent to push (especially when rushing).

-Dan