587,914 active members*
3,817 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 3 123
    New modbus user question... can you run multiple modbus message formats at the same time? Rtu and ASCII?... on the same modbus io device...

What does the network topography look like with uccnc at the centre as modbus master?

Keith, the mach3 modbus example was more for the arduino slave setup info as that will be the same as a coil is a coil etc...

Rob

Re: UCcnc and Modbus (;-)

Hi Robert from what I see you can ONLY run 1 modbus type per connection. But you CAN have multiple connections (multiple Com ports) and each can be different. Then you also have a RS485 option that should be able to do multidrop. (I have not tested that part yet)

As to TCP I am not sure what you are asking but here is a picture of teh Connection setup page for TCP.

As to teh new WriteModbusScript() it works VERY well and is simple and easy to use. It makes writing to a LCD display very easy. You can write 1,2,3,or 4 lines

(;-) TP

Did Modbus make it into the software yet?

Version 1.2021

Quote Originally Posted by Greolt View Post
    Did Modbus make it into the software yet?

Version 1.2021
    That's the latest version out and I've had that one for several months. News of Modbus came out after that one so I'd guess it's in the next major release, which I believe has major changes / improvements. My guess is the next release is coming when the UC300ETH is ready for sales.

Keith.

OK thanks Keith.

Presently controlling a VFD via Modbus from Mach3 and need this before migrating that machine to UCCNC.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    That's the latest version out and I've had that one for several months. News of Modbus came out after that one so I'd guess it's in the next major release, which I believe has major changes / improvements. My guess is the next release is coming when the UC300ETH is ready for sales.

Keith.
    The current version is 1.2022. I just made an order of UC400ETH bundled with UCCNC and hope it contains Modbus support which is easily configurable for any VFD, otherwise it will be €50 thrown out the window because I won't be able to use it. I currently use Mach3 and while it is not perfect, I find the flexibility great and currently using Modbus with it. It is great not to have to use or write any plugins yet have the flexibility to use any VFD. Currently I have a Bosch Rexroth EFC 5610 which I like a lot.

I ordered the UC400ETH because the UC300ETH does not have Mach3 plugin and I want to move on from the UC300 USB to Ethernet, so to be on the safe side, I ordered the UC400ETH instead. I figure I will not need more than 2 parallel ports, and have no need for analog inputs/outputs with Modbus. I also think that the UC300ETH has the same design error as the UC300USB, the power plug is in my opinion at the wrong side of the card. making it difficult to install in a box if the power is connected internally in the box, shared with BOB. It's OK for USB, but not for Ethernet, after all Ethernet always needs the +5V, while the USB can be fed from the PC.

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    What modbus devices are you guys using?
    Currently I am only using one, my Bosch Rexroth EFC 5610 VFD. I control that through a USB RS485 dongle and via Mach3 brains, a fairly simple but not that well documented feature of Mach3.

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    Are there any good modbus boards available out there with general purpose I/Os which does not costs an arm and a leg?
    eBay is full of cheap I/Os but how well they work, I don't know. Have been considering buying one or two but currently have other priorities.

YES the new version HAS Modbus support for ALL 3 formats RTU,TCP and ASCII. AND so far it is working VERY well here. I have not found anything YET that I cannot talk to that is Modbus based.

They even created a function call to format a message string to a modbus LCD display. That made that part a LOT easier to deal with.

IF you have teh Mach3 brain to compare to you should be able to convert it to UCCNC. The brain will give you all teh coil or register NUMBERS to read/write to. Then you write a MacroLoop macro to interface teh Modbus value table to UCCNC functions.

(;-) TP

Quote Originally Posted by vmax549 View Post
    YES the new version HAS Modbus support for ALL 3 formats RTU,TCP and ASCII. AND so far it is working VERY well here. I have not found anything YET that I cannot talk to that is Modbus based.

They even created a function call to format a message string to a modbus LCD display. That made that part a LOT easier to deal with.

IF you have teh Mach3 brain to compare to you should be able to convert it to UCCNC. The brain will give you all teh coil or register NUMBERS to read/write to. Then you write a MacroLoop macro to interface teh Modbus value table to UCCNC functions.

(;-) TP
    That was EXACTLY what I did not want to hear. I was hoping for a simpler solution than having to write a macro. With Mach3 you don't need and macro.

Oh well, I have paid now and ordered the UC300ETH bundled with UCCNC, so I'll give it a chance. Had a mail exchange with Balazs as well, and hope I can get some help if needed. Installed UCCNC but since I have just paid, I still have to wait for the license number until he sends it. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll be able to start using it with the UC300USB I have now. Unfortunately, in demo mode the software is not working with any motion controller, the software is not time, or G-code line limited, but blocking the interface to CNC completely.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    That was EXACTLY what I did not want to hear. I was hoping for a simpler solution than having to write a macro. With Mach3 you don't need and macro.

Oh well, I have paid now and ordered the UC300ETH bundled with UCCNC, so I'll give it a chance. Had a mail exchange with Balazs as well, and hope I can get some help if needed. Installed UCCNC but since I have just paid, I still have to wait for the license number until he sends it. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll be able to start using it with the UC300USB I have now. Unfortunately, in demo mode the software is not working with any motion controller, the software is not time, or G-code line limited, but blocking the interface to CNC completely.
    If you post the brain, someone may be able to help with writing the macroloop for you.

What do you not like about writing a macro?

I would drop a copy of teh Brain over at teh UCcnc forum and a request for help (;-).

(;-) TP

Quote Originally Posted by robertspark View Post
    If you post the brain, someone may be able to help with writing the macroloop for you.
    I am sure I'll be able to write one, after all I have a programmer background with a very long experience, professionally programmed in: Assembly for 6502, 6802, 6809, C for 6802 and 6809, C++ for 6809 and 68xxx as well as for Windows, Ada and Ada++ for Unix, non-professionally, for different hobby projects: Basic for computers before PC and Basic as well as VB for PC before and after Windows, Ada++ and C++ for Windows, Assembly for different Microchip PICs.

So, I am pretty sure I am able to write all the macros I need if I know the syntax and have a list of what is and what is not possible to do and how to call different built-in functions and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by robertspark View Post
    What do you not like about writing a macro?
    The time it takes. Besides, I have given up on programming simply because I got tired of it and want to do other things with my time.

Mach3 Brains is not that well documented, but once you figured out some basics and learn where the Brain crash and why, it is pretty simple. With just a few clicks you can get a pretty nice and working brain file after a few minutes. No long typing of if cases and while loops, missing semi-colon causing headach and so on...

I would drop a copy of teh Brain over at teh UCcnc forum and a request for help (;-).

(;-) TP
    Thanks. Yes, I will if I need to, but I am pretty sure I can do it on my own if there is some documentation, just that I was hoping not to have to do it, and not happy about it at all.

I have also several tool setter VB macros, apart from the standard auto Z zero, also for auto X and Y zero, center finding of X or Y, as well as X and Y directions... so there is a need of more than enough macro writing already, switching from Mach3 to UCCNC is not just simply installing a new software...

(;-) TP
    Luckily there is no need for macro loop to control a VFD spindle. It is much simpler than that, but it has some bugs. The one which I found first (timeout value not saved) is already corrected, it was a simple mistake and was easy to fix. The others may not be so easy because they seem random. I still have to find a pattern, once I found that I will inform CNC Drive about it.

Though, a macro loop is needed for monitoring VFD parameters but that was not as critical as control, so that is pretty low priority right now for me.

OK you do not think a macro loop is usefull ?? How do you update teh VFD when the Sword changes or you do a spindle speed override. What is going to tell teh VFD that there is a speed change?

(;-) TP

[QUOTE=vmax549;1944642]OK you do not think a macro loop is usefull ??

The macro loop is definitely the best way of handling spindle speed unless a separate plugin is handling it.
    I had my first play with modbus on uccnc last night- it's very easy and nicer to set up than mach3

I managed to get my 2 arduinos doing the business talking both ways
    With read/ write of both analogue and digital
    https://youtu.be/7-T4hNrYVa4
    I like the change all for quick testing
    I set up one to first 100 uccnc registers and the second unit from 101 up
    Again another really nice feature which makes it all much easier to understand!
    so much to learn, so much to pass on.

A plugin is not really going to help you out, you are just adding complexity for little gain.

Macroloops run at (edit) 20hz (1/50mSec) in uccnc, where as mach3 it was 10hz (+ brains are 10hz).... plugins had the option to directly access Mach3 but I'm not sure at what speed that was.

That being said I do think that there is a need for some modbus macroloop examples to be worked up (I've said it before, I know little about modbus [have a consultants over-view from day job]) but I suspect that you want the M3 macro to call the spindle start, wait for the speed to be within target range (via monitoring status signals back from the inverter via modbus) [using the while{} conditional statement, and then for the macro to pass control back to uccnc for motion to begin.

You then want (via macroloop) for the spindle speed to be passed out to the inverter via modbus and continuously updated whilst contiously updating the spindle speed status back from the inverter which you can then use to correct and make minor adjustments on feedrate so essentially your spindle speed and feedrate matches your material + tool cutting speed.

Whilst I'd love to have a go at putting this together and issuing it for all I have no plans for an inverter driven spindle at present, but am happy to help if someone gets the code flowing....

OK you do not think a macro loop is usefull ?? How do you update teh VFD when the Sword changes or you do a spindle speed override. What is going to tell teh VFD that there is a speed change?

(;-) TP
    Once again, Modbus registers are read and the values are sent to the Modbus device in a loop. Everything you write into those registers is sent to the VFD, or the VFD writes and updates the relevant registers, UCCNC has taken care of that. You don't update the VFD, you update the Modbus register of UCCNC. You should connect one of your many VFDs and try...

Macro loop is totally pointless here for this purpose. It is much better done by the Modbus handler of UCCNC.

I have to look at spindle speed override, perhaps the button handler must be changed or perhaps a new one should be created, but even that should work without macro loop. In Mach3 that was easily taken care of, but perhaps that needs the macro loop in UCCNC, or new handlers.

[QUOTE=battwell;1945060]
    OK you do not think a macro loop is usefull ??

The macro loop is definitely the best way of handling spindle speed unless a separate plugin is handling it.
    I had my first play with modbus on uccnc last night- it's very easy and nicer to set up than mach3

I managed to get my 2 arduinos doing the business talking both ways
    With read/ write of both analogue and digital
    https://youtu.be/7-T4hNrYVa4
    I like the change all for quick testing
    I set up one to first 100 uccnc registers and the second unit from 101 up
    Again another really nice feature which makes it all much easier to understand!
    OK, for the last time. You don't need a macro loop. I am doing just fine without that, so it works very well without, but you have to connect the VFD to understand.

Like I said, have a look at my macros and see how I do it. But of course, I give up and stop discussing it soon, because I hate to sound like I know something... I just control my VFD with Modbus, so what do I know about that, compared to those who don't even have a VFD...

I have to look at spindle speed override, perhaps the button handler must be changed or perhaps a new one should be created, but even that should work without macro loop. In Mach3 that was easily taken care of, but perhaps that needs the macro loop in UCCNC, or new handlers.[/QUOTE]

My spindle override is controlled by analogue pot- so I need the speed passed to the modbus registers on the fly. Hence macro loop idea seems best.
    so much to learn, so much to pass on.

Page 2 of 3 123