587,372 active members*
3,558 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > LinuxCNC (formerly EMC2) > need some help getting my machine to home properly

need some help getting my machine to home properly

Just updated LinuxCNC and had to do a clean install as I was on ubuntu 10.04. Trying to do stepcnfg wizard using the same settings I had written down from my old config. It will not home anymore, I have tried adjusting several settings in the wizard to no avail. It goes to the home switch, starts to back off, then errors with 'home switch active before latch move' I have spent the better part of the day trying to find answers but I dont understand linux well enough to understand what i am reading and if it even applies to my issue.

I am running from a parallel port through a BoB to gecko 540's, have micro switches for limit and home, they are set up as n/o which i know is not how they should be done, but they did work this way before.

Thank you for any advice

Re: need some help getting my machine to home properly

This behavior is typical of a noisy switch activation. As the switch changes state it does so multiple times really fast (bouncing) you can add the debounce Hal component to your configuration. Connect the switch signal to the input of the debounce component and connect the output of the debounce component to the home input for the axis. Set the delay to 5. This should fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by NitroCH3NO2 View Post
    This behavior is typical of a noisy switch activation. As the switch changes state it does so multiple times really fast (bouncing) you can add the debounce Hal component to your configuration. Connect the switch signal to the input of the debounce component and connect the output of the debounce component to the home input for the axis. Set the delay to 5. This should fix the problem.
    Okay, thanks for the input!

I have read about adding a Debounce into the software, but all the links i find about how to do this are dead. Any ideas on if that would work or how to apply it?

See the following page. Scroll down to the bottom of the page for all of the man pages for the various hal components. debounce is there.

LinuxCNC

it would go something like this. I am sure this is not exactly correct and you will need to change to be correct for your config.

loadrt debounce cfg=1

addf debounce servo-thread

net homeswitchsignal -> debounce.0.1.in
    net debounce.0.1.out -> dbhomeswitchsignal
    net dbhomeswitchsignal -> motion.axis.0.home-sw-in # change the axis number based on the axis home switch

setp debounce.0.delay = 5

Thank You!

Next problem now.......

Axis control "power" randomly shuts off, not limit error or anything, just poof everything stops moving like i pressed F2. I usually, but not always have to switch off and on my Estop switch, which I guess is turning off my stepper power supply and back on. Any ideas what to investigate first?

What break out board are you using? Is the machine going into Estop when this happens? Can you post your entire config HAL and INI files in a zip file?

Again this sounds like an electrical noise problem. How is the low voltage wiring located vs the power supply and the geco drive? Can you attach a picture? Are you using shielded cable with the shield grounded at one end for the low voltage stuff 5V and under? How do you have the G540 enable connected in your machine?

It is a PMinO BOB or something like that. I didn't originally assemble this conversion, a friend did it for me while I was in a wheelchair. I bought a C10 BOB but couldn't figure out how to install it.

The wiring is a spaghetti mess, yes the wires to the steppers and most the limits are shielded. I think the z limit is not shielded I will post my hal and ini when I get out to the shop.

TY

Tried to attach the files, but the forum says its an invalid file type :-(