587,492 active members*
3,624 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > OpenSource CNC Design Center > Open Source Controller Boards > DIY BLDC / DC Motor Servo Drive - ARM MCU (STM32F103C8T6)
Page 20 of 25 101819202122

Re: DIY BLDC / DC Motor Servo Drive - ARM MCU (STM32F103C8T6)

Quote Originally Posted by jfong View Post
    The only code I see is Mihai code that I have downloaded. Where is the open source code for the updated dwalsh board that you have for sale then....
    His code is not open source because it is "commissioned work". See post #325
    However, if you buy his boards then I don't know if you get any code. It may be that you would pay for the code, but I don't know that. Secondly, the code may not be source code if you can buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by KOC62 View Post
    His code is not open source because it is "commissioned work". See post #325
    However, if you buy his boards then I don't know if you get any code. It may be that you would pay for the code, but I don't know that. Secondly, the code may not be source code if you can buy it.
    Thank you that is probably the most helpful info in the last few days. Let's have Websrv clarify this for us.

If you are expecting a person (dwalsh62) who commissioned firmware at his expense due to the lack of participation in a public open source project and then prevented from contributing to the public open source project in question to just openly toss you a copy of the firmware he contracted someone to produce for an undisclosed amount due to his lack of patience from waiting more than six months for any kind or serious offer of assistance, participation or progress, you're more delusional than originally perceived.

You want a finished product because you're incapable of producing your own and have no interest or desire in contributing in a meaningful way towards the completion of the open source product in question I am vehemently advising and recommending you to go and buy the LeadShine BLDC Servo Driver and Motor product, it's simple enough to use that even you can use it and it comes with detailed instructions to make your life easy so you don't have to give it any intelligent thought or effort.

In the end, when there is completed updated firmware taking advantage of the extended features and functionality of the updated design, you wont be able to buy any prebuilt boards and spending money commissioning the production of three boards through OSH-Parks will make it uneconomical for you to do on a cheap budget. I've gone this route, what it cost to make 9 blank boards (plus one freebie) shipped is $30.00 less than the cost of buying ten assembled boards without the fets from dwalsh62, now I'm no math genius but I can add simple numbers together and see a major savings in this purchase and unlike you, I'm making an effort to make it work with all the bells and whistles in the updated design.

I've finagled my way into purchasing fifty of the correct fets for $35.00 shipped from someone who is making a large quantity purchase and I paid less in total for these fifty than I paid for ten of the thirty I previously purchased at a discounted price.

I've been able to get the code modified to use the two current sense lines and notice a difference in the noise the motor makes, quieter and the humming is almost inaudible now in my 50W test motor and next I need to work on the calculations of the measured values to make the readings accurate since the updated design now utilizes a current sense amplifier with a 14:1 gain or 20:1 (depending on which amplifier is employed) and the circuit now provides one tenth the sense voltage so the current readings don't match.

Do I have code to share, once I have completed the necessary adjustments and the current sense is working 100% I'll have code to share with other contributors of this project but at this time there are none so it's not something I need to give consideration to now is it and the way things look, not something I need to worry about down the road either since there is only the superficial appearance of a public open source project, with no one in charge and no active group of developers it has all the signs of a needed and desirable project but no one wants to work on it.

To be fair, I'll give it a few more weeks, if no one else shows any genuine interest I'll do what everyone else is doing and go off quietly and do my own thing, the hardware part is done, only the firmware needs to be updated to match the features and functionality of the updated hardware design.

DIY BLDC / DC Motor Servo Drive - ARM MCU (STM32F103C8T6)

I takes this as no available updated open source firmware for the updated dwalsh schematic and pcboard that can be downloaded.

Websrv,
    You don't know me and I don't have explain my hardware/software expertise to someone like you.

Quote Originally Posted by pommen View Post
    Hello there.

This looks interesting. I have a working setup of the original code set up on breadboard and wouldnt mind testing your alternative. Mind sharing your changed version?

/Peter
    Hi pommen, welcome to the discussion.

I also started with a breadboard version (although it was given to me) based on the original Mihai schematic, changing the breadboard to reflect the updated schematic took a week waiting for a few parts to be delivered and the actual changes to the breadboard took about 30 minutes, the schematic is pretty clear and easy to follow.

I've since produced my own dev boards (not very good considering my lack of knowledge/experience in PCB designing) and have three with 14:1 sense amplifiers and two with 20:1 sense amplifiers so I could determine which gives better results or easier to work with but it doesn't appear to matter much using a low current motor since my peak current is only 3.47A if I lock the table from moving and draws 1.39A under a small load turning a 10mm ballscrew moving the small table and vise on my Shirline Mill cutting aluminum with a 1/4in endmill at 2500RPM, 0.23A under a no-load condition.

The changes in the code aren't worth sending updated files for, they're basically just pin assignment changes and you can short all the low channel drains together and use PA3 as the current sense line (no change needed for this pin) and the Mihai code will work without additional changes and the updated schematic design corrects the low start torque and stutter issues by use of the correct compliment pins so at a minimum the changes to the PWM pins is advised.

Changing to the dual sense line is just a matter of reading PA3 and PA4, if one is 0 then only process based on the valid value, if both have values then sum and divide by two to get the average mean value or compare and use the greater value, I'm still figuring out which is the correct/preferred method in this particular application since there is no sample design I could find that uses two sense lines so I have no model or example reference to work from, the STM32 is new territory for me but I'm on a learning plan.

I did notice that in FWD PA4 was mostly zero and in REV PA3 was mostly zero so maybe these can be used to detect the direction if direction is needed to be known but not sure on the reliability since 20% of the time both returned a value and maybe the missing MI will remove/correct this.

I posed a question previously regarding NMI's and MI's related to the PWM code that no one responded too, I've not made any changes yet to interrupts and unsure if changes need to be made but I've made some personal notes to look into it further later because it might be required with the changes needed to add the encoder index signal or aid in current sensing at the correct time.

I did find another motor driver design that doesn't use the current sense amplifiers, it uses a reference voltage of 1.2V to represent zero current and at 2.0V (0.8V swing) represents 80A for a high current golfcart ESC so I chose to ignore the information as it didn't appear to be useful or relevant but I could be wrong about it.

In case you forgot, I posted this a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Any further criticizing of moderators will result in instant banning. No questions asked.
    Your very close to being banned yourself, and having this thread permanently closed.
    Fwiw, Al had nothing to do with D Walsh's banning, or whatever else you've been complaining about.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Websrvr,

Many of us are interested in this project and have valid serious questions.
    Why is it that when we ask something that you don't like, you resort to belittlement?
    Who put you in charge and gave you supreme veto power over this project?
    Your idle threats are meaningless, maybe you should do all of us a favor and ban yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    In case you forgot, I posted this a week ago.

Your very close to being banned yourself, and having this thread permanently closed.
    Fwiw, Al had nothing to do with D Walsh's banning, or whatever else you've been complaining about.
    Spanked, my fault, yes I see, close to breaching the drawn line.

Not complaining about the actual reason because the actual reason has never been revealed to anyone including the banned party, only the interaction between the two is public, just stating that I can't attack the man just because I disagree with his views or opinions of another member, he hasn't bothered me so I have nothing to personally complain about him.

Still, thank you for the warning, message and it's meaning understood, acknowledgment of my faux-pas, mental note made to prevent another spanking.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmkaz View Post
    Websrvr,

Many of us are interested in this project and have valid serious questions.
    Why is it that when we ask something that you don't like, you resort to belittlement?
    Who put you in charge and gave you supreme veto power over this project?
    Your idle threats are meaningless, maybe you should do all of us a favor and banned yourself.
    I've seen no serious questions about the project and it's development, I've offered no products I have produced or will produce in the future and the questions you asked were about a product someone else is producing and offering to anyone interested in developing the project, I don't produce it so why would I have any answers to the questions you have about his product when you wont make the effort to contact the person who could answer your questions, certainly you're not expecting me to be your go-between so you don't have to deal with his abrasive ways do you?

Of course not, you don't know me well enough to expect any such special treatment so you should have gone to him for answer instead of being lazy and expecting or demanding me to do it for you.

No problem, you don't want me trying to aid in this projects development I don't need to wait any longer to find help with it.

Pommen. I'm really sorry to be leaving you all alone, my help is no longer wanted in this project as it seems my efforts are unwanted and unappreciated so I'm going to go and develop firmware for my own personal use.

Since you are now the only party interested in developing this project I would advise you discuss a plan of attack with jimmkaz and I wish you the best with it's success and hope that others can join in and assist you, if you are no longer interested in developing this project I hope that you let everyone here know so jimmkaz can find a suitable replacement.

Websrvr,

Maybe once you actually permanently leave Mihai the genius and founder of the project will return. Then the project will graciously continue to move forward with marked progress.

Websrvr,

I neglected to mention Mihai is not missing in action. He checked in here at the CNCZone yesterday, if you don't believe that check his personal profile!

Websrvr,

Maybe once you actually permanently leave Mihai the genius and founder of the project will return. Then the project will graciously continue to move forward with marked progress.
    Long before my arrival or the arrival of anyone else, Mihai told several people he has no intentions or interest for further development, it's served it's purpose and he moved on.

I have no reason to believe Mihai would lie to me about his interest or intentions, it would serve no purpose.

My advise to you, find someone to work with Pommen unless you want him walking away or roll up your sleeves and jump in and help him, either way it matters none to me.

Rob, thanks for the kind sentiments but I am sorry, ignoring jimmkaz wont make an environment conducive for me to continue develop in this open source project, it's clear he and his unknown following don't want me to be a part of the development team as he has publicly stated this so staying would be an un-winnable battle, he has assumed the position of the director for the project by informing me the he and everyone else interested want me to leave on my own accord and his remarks regarding my undesired participation cannot be ignored.

Should you or anyone else have further questions about the project, it's development or the direction in which it is heading, please direct them specifically to jimmkaz, the self appointed director of the project and I wish everyone luck with it and him.

Websrvr,

I neglected to mention Mihai is not missing in action. He checked in here at the CNCZone yesterday, if you don't believe that check his personal profile!
    He stated repeatedly to several people he's not interested in the project, he could be here for a number of different reasons, checking the drama in this thread is one that comes to mind, you got what you wanted, I'm gone, your in charge, what happens now is entirely up to you, you could weasel out and this is what I'm expecting will happen, I just can't see Pommen sticking around with no one to work with and expecting him to do all the work for your benefit as you sit back and wait for the fruits of his labor isn't an inspiring way to motivate development but I'm sure you'll figure something out, after all, you're now in charge.

Maybe you could appeal to Mihai and convince him to join Pommen in development just as you convinced me I'm not wanted in the project.

Quote Originally Posted by websrvr View Post
    Long before my arrival or the arrival of anyone else, Mihai told several people he has no intentions or interest for further development, it's served it's purpose and he moved on.

I have no reason to believe Mihai would lie to me about his interest or intentions, it would serve no purpose.

My advise to you, find someone to work with Pommen unless you want him walking away or roll up your sleeves and jump in and help him, either way it matters none to me.

Rob, thanks for the kind sentiments but I am sorry, ignoring jimmkaz wont make an environment conducive for me to continue develop in this open source project, it's clear he and his unknown following don't want me to be a part of the development team as he has publicly stated this so staying would be an un-winnable battle, he has assumed the position of the director for the project by informing me the he and everyone else interested want me to leave on my own accord and his remarks regarding my undesired participation cannot be ignored.

Should you or anyone else have further questions about the project, it's development or the direction in which it is heading, please direct them specifically to jimmkaz, the self appointed director of the project and I wish everyone luck with it and him.
    Websrvr,

Your information and statements about me are flawed and fictitious fabrication based upon your imagination.
    Time will tell if Mihai returns. Now why don't you follow through with your promise and ban yourself?
    Walking the plank takes less than a minute.

Websrvr,

Your information and statements about me are flawed and fictitious fabrication based upon your imagination.
    Time will tell if Mihai returns. Now why don't you follow through with your promise and ban yourself?
    Walking the plank takes less than a minute.
    I've left the project. publicly denounced my involvement, no longer working on or towards it's public development and if you'd stop writing to me I wouldn't have any need to respond now would I.

Celebrating sounds like a good idea, I would enjoy buying everyone a beer!

Until just now I had no reason to join this forum as a registered member and I was content like the multitude of others in reading the pages that interested me and hitting github to get the latest and greatest rendition of a projects code base.

Unfortunately this project isn't in github or if it is it's not easily found or it's under a different name.

I've been following this thread for about three months now, I used PCBExpress to make the Mihai boards and attach 3 Renesance motors to my Taig mill and was impressed with the resulting speed over the nema23 stepper motors during the dry runs I performed.

When I actually started cutting material it was a different story, if I didn't plunge into the material or had to cut progressive arcs, the jumping around was scary to watch and I was waiting for something to break.

From reading the thread I understood this to be a minor design flaw that is corrected in another schematic but I couldn't make those board because no board file seems to exist to give PCBExpress leaving me waiting for a final product to become available or a file I could give PCBExpress.

Now the guy who was working on the project you kicked out leaving no one to work on it so I gotta ask jimmkaz, what is your plan or have you destined me (and everyone else interested in these drivers) to be stuck with the original Mihai design that doesn't work properly forcing me to go back to the crappy stepper motor setup I just recently got out of?

websrvr, I see from posts you don't like or want to receive private messages so I'm wondering if I can publicly ask about your Reflow Oven controller which you said is running on an Uno.

I tried to compile the Reflow Chateaux code for the Uno which sounds like a stripped down version of your code but it's 59K compiled and no way it will fit in an Uno, is the source code you used available so I can make it work with my 2.4in touch screen or you make me a hex file for my 2.4in touch screen if you're not giving it out?

It's an ILI9327 driver IC since you'll need to know this to make it work with my touch screen.

Brad

Brad, I'm not sure why you're having an issue posting to the thread but I'm sure the moderator you contacted will help you out with the issue and yes, in a public setting public messages are more appropriate and is my preferred method of contact unless it's an absolutely private and/or pressing matter.

Regarding the Reflow Oven controller on my Uno, unfortunately I don't have access to the source code, it's not public so I wont be able to provide you with it or create a version that works with your existing TFT.

I also don't advise contacting the creator of the works unless you enjoy sandpaper as a daily source of your diet, he's a rough character to deal with and takes some getting use to.

I do have a hex file for a version that uses any ILI948x based 320 x 480 TFT I could dig up and provide to you if you're able to source an appropriate TFT, this is all I have in the way of reflow oven controller code I can offer.

I am aware of the Reflow Chateau code with it's lesser functionality and it not fitting on the Uno and while this code looks like the same code from the visual running app aspect, it's clearly not the same code when it's compiled size is smaller than 29K with all the bells and whistles.

I tried the Reflow Chateau code on a Mega2560, it looks OK but not great and by the time I added the missing functionality and features it was well over 100K and fits the Mega1280 or Mage2560 I was however disappointed in the colors and brightness of the display produced by the Adafruit driver which is the only game in town and what I am assuming you're using as your driver since it's pretty much the one that everyone uses.

I think you would be happier if you obtain one of the 3.95in TFT displays still being offered on ebay for the Uno and it doesn't matter if it's ILI9481, ILI9486 or ILI9488, the driver code used in this Uno app properly initializes and sets up the brightness and colors and the larger display area means you wont struggle to read the display or issues accessing the touch screen buttons.

Give it a day for the contacted moderator to help you with your posting issue, he's a decent guy from my experiences, if he hasn't helped you by then shoot me another private message and I'll help you privately with your Reflow Oven project.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad43 View Post
    ... I used PCBExpress to make the Mihai boards and attach 3 Renesance motors to my Taig mill and was impressed with the resulting speed over the nema23 stepper motors during the dry runs I performed....Brad
    I'm interested in the idea of a stepper motor being replaced by a BLDC version. Although I may need to evaluate the cost to replace my 4 nema23 steppers, which are working.

1) What type of encoder did you use?
    2) Does your BLDC motor fit the nema23 footprint?
    3) Care to give a model # of your replacement BLDC motor?

Thanks.

Brad43,

If you have read the entire thread you might have determined that Mihai is fed up with the attacks from dwlash62 and his associates (members pretending to be someone else).
    In private he has and will help others at his discretion. If certain people are no longer disrupting the thread he may return. "Websrvr's" promises and contributions remind me of a carnie that plays a shell game or a bait and switch scam. Even though he is crying victim stating "I kicked him out" that is total fabrication and a fish story. "Websrvr" can help anyone he chooses, even though he has stated several times that he does not have the ability to develop better code than what is available from the Open Source Community. I am not a moderator or the leader of this thread, just voicing the shared opinions of many of the others that have been productively contributing to the good of the Open Source Community. New members that join and parrot others, look like a fraud or another scam that we have seen many times before. It reminds me of several failed Kickstarter products that were full of ghost contributors that decided early on to change their mind, leaving a few innocent victims holding the bag (losing monies and never receiving a working product).

I hope you find what you came here for, I promise to continue to help within my ability.
    Have a most awesome day.

Page 20 of 25 101819202122