587,633 active members*
3,348 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > NYCCNC open house yesterday....I will go back next year early and stay all day

NYCCNC open house yesterday....I will go back next year early and stay all day

I attended the NYCCNC open house yesterday, It was well organized, well put together, high energy, fun and informative.

Learned several things just by watching an 1100 with ATC operate, meeting ppl was great and informative.

There was a poster on wall in hallway from Shear Hog saying somthing ( I think ) like a person should be getting 6 CIM metal removal rate per Horsepower

.....??????? wow did I get this right ?

Thanks
    Dave

Re: NYCCNC open house yesterday....I will go back next year early and stay all day

Quote Originally Posted by DLawrence View Post

There was a poster on wall in hallway from Shear Hog saying somthing ( I think ) like a person should be getting 6 CIM metal removal rate per Horsepower

Thanks
    Dave
    Marketing claims and actual real world performance are two different things. An optimized cut in a production run is not what most of us do.

Take a look at NYCCNC's videos. Half to 1 cubic inches/min in steel, 2-3 in Al seem to be in the zone on the 1100. Available hp varies with spindle speed (1100 optimum is somewhere around 2500-3000), and machine rigidity is also a significant factor in the Tormach (or any) machine class. I find that I'm too conservative on ipm, so I use the method John described from Lakeshore Carbide - focus on rpm and ipt, which helps.

That said, most of the time I run around .5-.75 ci/m in steel, and 2 in Al with appropriate cutters, speeds, and feeds. That sounds good, goes "fast enough", and seems to be well inside the envelope. That said, some of us have reported 5-7 ci/min on the Tormach; I've done 5+ with an optimized cut in Al, not a Shear Hog, so I'd guess they can do it. Could I optimize to 2-3 times my usual? Probably. Is it worth it for one-off, prototype parts? No. I really don't want six copies of something I'm making one of.

In an R&D/prototyping/small shop environment, claims like that -while perhaps objectively true- are just not relevant to the day to day practice. Doesn't mean one shouldn't buy a Shear Hog, though!

Re: NYCCNC open house yesterday....I will go back next year early and stay all day

GL thanks...... you put well into words........... what I was sort of thinking

Thanks,
    Dave

There's a comment in the currently running spindle heat thread from Wildwhl about optimal Shear Hog parameters. 0.55 WOC, 0.15 DOC, 65 ipm @ 4000. That's a bit over 5 ci/m if I did the math right. GWiz says that's a 1.15 hp cut. At that point I'd expect my 1100 to be OK, but getting close to running out of steam and maybe a little loud. Anyway, some independent confirmation with the Shear Hog that what the marketing guys say may be a little optimistic on our machines.

Quote Originally Posted by DLawrence View Post
    I attended the NYCCNC open house yesterday, It was well organized, well put together, high energy, fun and informative.

Learned several things just by watching an 1100 with ATC operate, meeting ppl was great and informative.

Thanks
    Dave
    I have run Shear Hogs for 16 years, on 20 and 30 horsepower machines,as well as on my PCNC 1100. When you puch a Shear Hog on one of the big horsepower machines, they don't really make chips. THEY MAKE CHUNKS.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

that would make a good vid to see chuck flying
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]