587,163 active members*
3,983 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Windows XP to ? migration

I've been running my mill with Mach 3 and Windows XP on a Sony VIAO desktop system for 5+ years. The computer is starting to act a little flakey and I'd like to migrate to a different PC rather than wait for a failure. I'd prefer to get the most modern PC and operating system I can that still supports a parallel port unless there is a compelling argument to move to something else.

My understanding is that Windows 7 32 bit is the last OS that supports the parallel port, is that correct? If so, does anyone have a recommendation for a known-working PC like a Dell Optiplex 755 or 760 or other machine?

If I decide to abandon the parallel port, what would be the simplest migration on the CNC hardware side? I'm currently using a CNC4PC C35 BOB.

I am not interested in migrating to Mach4 at this time as the licensing is prohibitive for my small business. I have legitimate licenses for Mach 3 for each of my CNC machines and I've not really had major issues with Mach 3.

Thanks,
    Michael
    Reelsmith, Angling Historian, and Author of "The Reelsmith's Primer"
    www.EclecticAngler.com | www.ReelLinesPress.com

Re: Windows XP to ? migration

If you want to use the parallel port, I'd stay with XP.

The simplest non parallel port option is a UC-100, which has a parallel port plug on it. You can use any version of Windows with it.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Part of the problem is that now that XP is unsupported products like DropBox are no longer installable. I use DropBox to share my gcode files. I have an identical VIAO / XP setup on another mill that I can use DropBox on but this one is requiring an update and the updater continually fails. Plus the machine has gotten dog slow on the network although their is a strong signal and the WIFI dongle was swapped with a known good one and it is still is a problem and the other machine is fine with it. So these issues are just adding up to make it painful but I need to minimize downtime as it will affect my production.

I am a bit concerned about a USB based solution based on the mixed reports folks have. Is there anything like the UC-100 but with ethernet?

thanks
    Michael

Then yes, Win7 32 bit is your only option.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks again.

I found this very helpful writeup: https://www.reddit.com/r/hobbycnc/co...r_vs_ethernet/

Not sure if anyone here wrote it or if it's been referenced here before. For about $115 bucks plus a Windows 10 box, it is probably worth taking a shot. I can migrate my configuration over to the new setup, plug it in and see how she works. Then I could always go back if needed and I'll have a W10 box and can figure out what to do for the next step (i.e. ethernet smooth stepper or similar). Might be worth checking out their control software too.

There is a new Ethernet product made by the uc100 guys, although not quite as neat and tidy as the uc100 ( more i/o available as a plus)... I bought the uc100, but may still move to the new uc400eth (new model number IIRC) if I have any issues

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk

The NEW UC400ETH (ethernet) now has a Mach3 plugin.

(;-) TP

I ended up getting the UC100 and got it the next day via Amazon so I could quickly get this controller back on line. It took less than 30 minutes to install and hook up to my BOB and start milling! So far its been rock solid and I can hear and see the results of much smoother motion on the parts.

The only slightly negative thing is that USB connectors are not locking. The UC100 has a locking parallel port at one end and a micro USB at the other. It is kind of ridiculous! I think I'm going to 3D print a locking mechanism for the UC100 but there really isn't thing that can be done at the computer USB port end is there?

Here's a little update to close the loop...

I ordered the UC100 and it arrived on Saturday 2 weeks ago (1 day shipping). I also headed to my local used PC shop and picked up a pretty nice HP desktop that is ex-government equipment It had Windows 8 installed. When I hooked it up, MS asked if I wanted to migrate to Windows 10 - so I did. After the migration, I copied my entire Mach3 folder from the XP machine onto a USB drive and moved it over to the new machine. I then followed the instructions for the UC100 driver installation. They installed fine under Windows 10. I then swapped out the XP box with the new one, the BOB parallel cable plugged right into the UC100 (but they include a gender changer just in case). I booted up, lunched Mach, got the "do you want to use the UC100" dialog and away I went. I've had 2 small production runs using this setup and it has gone without a hitch! I've not had any hiccups and it really sounds like my steppers are running smoother. I have not retuned anything but I might do that now after I finish some maintenance.

So, my experience so far has been excellent. This literally was a drop in replacement that allows me to use a modern OS (Windows 10 in fact) with my original parallel interface BOB and everything works exactly as it did before. Good stuff!

Wow, I just went through the same thing upgrading my computer dedicated to Mach. I saved XML and put fresh install of XP to eliminate any problems, even though came with Win7pro. After 2 days installs/ reinstalls, bio settings, forum searches, I couldn't get the Parallel port to turn motors properly, I ordered the UC100 on ebay Thursday 4-21-16 and received it today(2days). I will put link below, $114.99 Free shipping. I was up and running in 15 min and never heard my motors hum so smooth.

CNC USB Controller UC100 for Mach3 CNC Controller USB to Parallel | eBay

Dan911, might be a good time to upgrade from XP also. I am very impressed with the overall performance of Windows 10 even on this older machine.

What sort of 911 do you have? I have an 83 Cabriolet.

Quote Originally Posted by mhackney View Post
    Dan911, might be a good time to upgrade from XP also. I am very impressed with the overall performance of Windows 10 even on this older machine.

What sort of 911 do you have? I have an 83 Cabriolet.
    Nice....My Porsche days are behind me, I'm a Tahoe/minivan family man now...LOL

I have no problem with XP since its dedicated to Mach3. I actually just changed the shell in registry from explorer.exe to the Mach3 exe. Now computer boots straight to Mach3 and I never see any other windows.

Yes, I give the UC100 5 stars. Especially for someone like myself who didn't want to get involved rewiring a new board in my already tight enclosure. This was a great alternative.

Ha! I managed to keep my 1970 911S through those days until this past September when I needed to sell it for college tuition for my youngest. But they are going to have to pry the cabriolet from my cold, dead hands!

For me, I also dedicate the machine but I use DropBox to move gcode files around my CNC mills and CAD/CAM system and it no longer works with XP. So I was forced to migrate.

Quote Originally Posted by mhackney View Post
    Ha! I managed to keep my 1970 911S through those days until this past September when I needed to sell it for college tuition for my youngest. But they are going to have to pry the cabriolet from my cold, dead hands!

For me, I also dedicate the machine but I use DropBox to move gcode files around my CNC mills and CAD/CAM system and it no longer works with XP. So I was forced to migrate.
    Reminds me of the TV commercial (forget what for) will never move out the city, will never move to suburbs, will never drive a minivan....LOL

Good Luck!!!

Thanks. A solution image be pursuing
    In the words of the Toolman--If you didn't make it yourself, it's not really yours!
    Remember- done beats perfect every time!!