587,914 active members*
3,865 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Want To Buy...Need help! > looking for a cheap cnc router to attempt to learn on.

looking for a cheap cnc router to attempt to learn on.

im looking to buy a cheap small cnc router 3 axis or 4 would work.

completely new to cnc. just want to learn, and see if I can get the hang of it before I invest a couple thousand.

Re: looking for a cheap cnc router to attempt to learn on.

Hello Riverotter,

What do you want to be able to do with this router? I understand you want to learn with it so I am assuming you want to learn how to design in CAD and create gcode from those designs and learn how to setup the work. But when you have the hang of it, what do you want to be able to do with the machine you learn on?

just wanting to mill out wooden fishing lures. from soft woods like basswood and white cedar. simple designs with not a whole lot of detail. after I get the hang of it. I plan to get at least a tiag and hope to make some soft plastic injection molds as well.

I'd say get theTaig now and save the money you'd waste on the piece-of-junk router. Those things often just don't work, which discourages people about the whole CNC thing. You can learn on a Taig just as well, and it would do everything you say you want to do: make lures out of wood or molds out of aluminum.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

[QUOTE=awerby;1870958]I'd say get theTaig now and save the money you'd waste on the piece-of-junk router. Those things often just don't work, which discourages people about the whole CNC thing. You can learn on a Taig just as well, and it would do everything you say you want to do: make lures out of wood or molds out of aluminum.[/QUOTE. I may do that not sure yet. I need both the mill and a router. I think the mill would be way to slow to use for making the wooden baits. I could be wrong. I don't know a whole.lot about either lol.

The Taig isn't as fast as some machines, but it's not all that slow. And with a small part, you don't really need to go very fast. If you decide to go into production with these little wooden lures, you might decide to get a faster machine for that. In the meantime, you can make them and the molds you need on the Taig, and learn about the process as you go.
    Andrew Werby
    Website