587,163 active members*
3,983 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

8.4in LCD strange behavior

I just acquired a 1995 Fanuc Robodrill T10B with 16mb controls. It has a 8.4" LCD that has issues. When turn on the machine the right side of the screen is pink. The left side looks good. After 5 min or so the right side starts to show text but flickers allot. Another couple minutes and the screen evens out mostly. There is a distinct shading down the middle of the screen and the right side is slightly blurry. Any suggestion of what to look at and how to fix? I re-seated all the cables. The soft buttons seem to work. All seven main screens work. Just the display is wonky.

Donny

Re: 8.4in LCD strange behavior

See if this helps

Nope I had tried that already. Sometimes when I turn it on its mostly readable other times it never clears up so I have to cycle power till it somewhat straightens up.
    What is the key sequence for turning the monitor off and on without killing machine power? Found it once but, I can't find it now.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteriver View Post
    Nope I had tried that already. Sometimes when I turn it on its mostly readable other times it never clears up so I have to cycle power till it somewhat straightens up.
    What is the key sequence for turning the monitor off and on without killing machine power? Found it once but, I can't find it now.
    Fanuc has, a screen saver parameter is provided in the CNC parameter number 3123. The parameter has a setting of minutes, so if it were set to 30, after 30 minutes with no activity on the MDI keypad the LCD display will shut off. If the parameter is set to 0, pressing the CAN key and any Function key (POS, Program, System etc) will also activate the screen saver function.

I had to repair one on a machine with a similar symptom as this, the operator had been cleaning the machine with a Air line, and he apparently blew air along the edge of the screen and a very similar symptom occurred.
    I replaced the screen itself and its back working.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Just an update. Problem solved. Took it apart and discovered the LCD part is made by Sharp. $49 later I had a brand new screen and it works great. To bad I lost all the parameters the day before. But more on that in another post.
    Saved $2800 by digging into it myself.

Donny