587,514 active members*
2,860 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Old servos and adjustments?

Hybrid View

Re: Old servos and adjustments?

As long as you did not scratch the encoder disc, it should be possible to align it centre of the opto sensor.
    The encoder is mounted independent of the encoder, with the tach usually going to the drive and the encoder to the control.
    It is very tricky but I have used an ordinary meter to see the A. B pulses outputs although a 'scope is better.
    If you get it working the only thing that may be out is your home zero if it uses a L.S. and encoder Z marker pulse method to home.
    Some systems such as Fanuc have a grid shift parameter to adjust this in software.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Re: Old servos and adjustments?

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    As long as you did not scratch the encoder disc, it should be possible to align it centre of the opto sensor.
    The encoder is mounted independent of the encoder, with the tach usually going to the drive and the encoder to the control.
    It is very tricky but I have used an ordinary meter to see the A. B pulses outputs although a 'scope is better.
    If you get it working the only thing that may be out is your home zero if it uses a L.S. and encoder Z marker pulse method to home.
    Some systems such as Fanuc have a grid shift parameter to adjust this in software.
    Al.
    Zero is not an issue with this machine. When it shuts down you lose the zero every time. It was the way it was designed. No home switches, just limit switches. So it's stupid simple. Kind of annoying that I have rezero my fixtures and such in the morning but its only 3-5 min to do so it's not terrible. You just reference each axis so that I finds the "ticks" on the encoder (usually less than 0.050" of movement) then that is your home location for the day. It has it's drawbacks, but so far it has been a great machine and pretty darn reliable.