587,927 active members*
4,090 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Avid CNC > Pro4824 Squaring/Calibration Problem - Video Explaination

Pro4824 Squaring/Calibration Problem - Video Explaination

Hey there guys, here is a video I made to explain the problem I am having. I need to try and fix this asap and this issue has been ongoing since my last post about my mach3 crashing the XML file. Since the crash it has been hell to get this thing to cut accurately. I know its fully capable and has cut these parts mentioned in the video before many times. So I am trying to pinpoint where my actual issue is I know I have to be overlooking something.

Oh and another thing I think may be related issue. If I have a line down my Y-axis, and I cut a profile on the right and left side of the line, There will be material left in the middle, I have no idea how that is possible. This really interferes when I try to chamfer parts because it doesnt leave the correct edge on the part. I noticed if I profile the part then make the chamfer path on the center of the profile like its on the part on one side and way off the part other other.

Any help I would appreciate very very much! Thanks again anyone who can help!

Here is my video:

https://youtu.be/zUnf9qSRcGU

- Clockwerk

Re: Pro4824 Squaring/Calibration Problem - Video Explaination

Clockwerk,

Not sure if it's just me, but the video seems to only be a couple of seconds long. Feel free to email us the video directly or give us a call and we can help you with your issue.

Best regards,

Ahren
    CNCRouterParts

So sorry I posted the wrong link, Im fixing it now. I just wanted to get as much input as possible. I havent had issues like this before. The machine has been really excellent since I built it but since a month ago when the XML file went bad its been downhill.

The video is fixed! I will shoot you an email directly with the link to the video also Ahren

Next time, hold the camera still. Very hard to watch.

If the one side is not finishing where it started, it's either a mechanical issue, or your losing steps.
    Make sure everything is tight. Put a mark on the pulleys and shafts and see if the mark is moving.
    Did you change the velocity or acceleration settings?

You talked about calibrating both the master and slave. Make sure the steps per unit (and every other setting) is the same for both master and slave.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks for the response Ger. Sorry for the shaky video, I was excited/annoyed at the point I filmed it. Most of the information needed is in my commentary, at least the explanation of whats going on. Everything it tight as hell I went over it when I initially started exploring what could be wrong, I did find a screw on me X axis sled to be loose but I tightened it down, everything else is solid. The steps on the motor tuning for the Y and its slave A is identical. I did leave them as a long decimal from the MACH3 calibration. Should I round it to the closest solid step or leave it as a decimal?

leave it as a decimal.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Okay so I found what I think might be the problem. I backed the left and right gantry support plate 1 inch from the sensor bracket on each side. Put a framing square up to the gantry itself on the inside between the spoilboard and the bed and meaursured the distance to the gantry, it was out of square by .125" so I think during the operation it somehow slowly sits back to it natural out of square relationship. Could this be possible? I fixed that issue now, it should be dead nuts square to the table just like the gantry support plates. Fingers crossed.

Also on my X and Y axis, The velocity is 199.98 and the acceleration is 15 and the Gs are0.0388528 Step Pulse is 2 and DIR pulse is 2.

Also I ran the Mach3 calibration, I did it over 20 inches for the X and Y, Dialed in dead on, the settings are 1737.107058 for the X and 1737.172275 for the Y. This like I said is dead on onver 20 inches. According to the CNCRouterParts the steps per calculations are set at 1736. Does this seem like a logical difference between calibrated steps and calculated steps? Or should I be averaging the two like I think I had read somewhere?

Thanks for all the help guys!

For this sort of troubleshooting, the calibration settings are often a red herring. You won't see too much difference between 1736 and 1737 steps per inch -- over 20 inches this will only result in a 0.012" difference, and you're talking about offsets 5 times this amount. I'm not saying this number isn't important, but I doubt it's related to the issue you are seeing.

If you are still running on a parallel port, and if you are using a Gecko G540, the issue could very well be lost steps electronically. I would suggest increasing the step pulse and dir pulse up to 10 (even though the range only goes up to 5, you can still do this). Given that this odd behavior started with a PC issue, and you have been fastidious about mechanically tuning your machine, I wouldn't be surprised if the G540 is missing a few step pulses here and there that are adding up to significant positional losses, especially over the course of an hour. Your X and Slave X drivers may have slightly different thresholds for pulse width to detect a "step" command, and this would explain why one side is moving relative to the other. We can go into more detail with you on the phone if you give us a call.

Other than than, if you haven't already, please do check the set screws on your motor pulleys to make sure they have not vibrated loose. Ger mentioned this, but it is worth emphasizing, as it's the most common source of lost motion mechanically.

I would suggest giving us a call -- we want to see you back up and cutting as well!

Best regards,

Ahren
    CNCRouterParts

Thanks Ahren for all the information. I ran a test after squaring my gantry and viola! it cut straight and then after the cut i brought it 1 inch from the ends and it was still square. I will take your advise and increase the step and dir pulse to 10 to be safe.

As for the set screws on the pulleys I knew those were the most important screws, I check them when I replaced my gears, I also torqued them and used loctite on them when I installed them, they aren't going anywhere =D

Seems to be this has been partial electronics and mechanical. With squaring the gantry now correctly I believe Ill be good to go. I will post back if I run into any issues! Thanks again everyone!