587,779 active members*
2,935 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Digiscan Macro's

Anybody have a copy of the Digiscan Macro programs I think 8000,9000
    Thanks Ray.

Digiscan Macro's

You should be able to get digiscan from milltronics. I believe there is a little more to it then just a couple macros. Plus you will receive instructions.

Re: Digiscan Macro's

I have the probe and I can see parameter settings in the control for digitizing, I think I just need the 8000,9000 macro programs so I can try it, $1200 US for a 3.5" floppy with a few programs that can only run on window 95 seems a bit much.

I think enough of the company and the people there to not give away their product. The instructions are worth buying. Yes it is more than a few macros. I run it on windows 10 with no problem (through dos box). I guess you could write your own macro to obtain a point cloud if thats all you want out of it, but if you buy the product you can convert the points to lines in DXF format and import it into a cad/cam system and manipulate to your needs, or use your cnc as a CMM. If you are ever going to attempt x/y (profile) digitizing, you are going to need the support and instructions anyway. That is a custom macro, good luck figuring that out on your own. The instruction book is just that, a book. It is a powerful and capable software that makes oddball part replication 10X easier. If you have the right clientele, the first job will pay for the software.

I never wanted something for nothing and have had good help from them in the past. One guy from Milltronics sent me the manual so I could see if that"s what I want, I have a probe and they told me the software was macro's, first quote was $4,600 with a Renishaw probe or $4,300 without the probe, Renishaw MP11 probe for $300.? I told them they were nuts and I was told $1,200 for the software, so what am I getting? Don't get me wrong I like theses guys but I guess it"s old software now and not many of them know much about it.

Old software or new, old machine or new, if it ain't broke - don't fix it. They still make new Bridgeport machines every day even though it is technology from the 50's. If you want new technology, buy a laser scanner Portable 3D Scanners for 3D Scanning | HandySCAN 3D by Creaform , but that level of technology will set you back about 50G. $1200 through $50,000 and everything in between. The bottom line is this, if you are wanting to get accurate measurements to replicate a part using your machine, you are going to need more than macros. The macros will only allow you to scan a part and replicate the scan with allowance for tool diameter, radius and federate. In order to replicate a part with any kind of speed you will use digiscan software in conjunction with cad/cam to scan the part, convert the points to DXF, import to cad/cam, take the relevant measurements, delete the rest, using the wireframe as reference - generate surfaces or a solid, program accordingly and make your part.

IF you have the Digiscan manual, you already have the macro programs.

There are only the three files listed as the Guidance Files. Simply go to Program - Text and create them in the Parts folder.
    You can also create your own guidance files, the Program Commands and Format section describes the process.
    (You might want to save them all to a disk afterward)

Then follow the instructions to create the point clouds. Then the real work begins to convert the raw data into something you can use.

Good luck with it.

The Mp11 probe that Allen pointed out sold for $450.00 Some body beat me out by $25.00 ( my bad) this included the Digiscan program disk. what a value. Congrats to who ever got it.
    Ya got a bargain.
    Pm me if ya need help.
    Sportybob

Sorry Bob, I just hit the buy it now button I didn't know you had an offer on it.

Ron

I asked the guy on ebay about the program disks but he didn't know if he had them and didn't get back to me, that's what started this whole process. Milltronics sent me the manual for free but didn't see any macro's I have a probe just wanted to know what I was getting for the $4,300 that dropped to $1,200. They say you can cut straight from data you collect without going to a 3rd party Cam program, I use Bobcad. I just want to copy some castings nothing too accurate.

The process of digitizing with a probe is simply commanding a move to a position, moving the probe to contact the part, trapping the XYZ values of that point in the data file, and moving to the next point, again and again. The step-overs are usually set in the guidance file.

You will get a file with a list of the machine positions created when the ball on the end of the stylus contacted the part. The size of the ball will effect the machine position stored, so you get a 'compensated' path, not the actual surface digitized. If you cut the program with the same size cutter as you probed with, you will get the same shape with the resolution of the diameter of the ball/cutter used and the size of the pick/scan values you chose.

Because you usually want a high level of detail, you use a small diameter stylus and small step-overs in the guidance file. The program can take some time to run and the data file (sometimes known as the 'point cloud') can get quite large.

Now you will need some software package to manipulate the data in order to get the toolpaths to rough and finish the part with the cutters you want to use, maybe Bobcad will do that.

It's really not just the macros. Yes macros might give you the point cloud, but you can't do anything with that alone like ZZZZ said, its just a bunch of points. BTW, the macros are in the manuals in black and white. What the manual doesn't say is that you can load digiscan onto your machine in C drive (assuming you have an upgraded CF control with enough power and speed to do it), scan your part, exit into the shell, open and run digiscan on the machine, convert the point cloud into connected lines in DXF format, and save it to disk all right there at the machine. escape out of digiscan, type exit and you cnc is back online. Then you can open it in bobcad, delete the connecting lines that link the long lines together and create a surface based on the profile lines. Solid works has a feature that can go straight from point cloud to surface, but the price tag is a little more than bobcad. The last thing you need is those parameters that turn on the digiscan. Honestly the best way that I have found to create surfaces off of a digitized part is to open the lines in one layer, open a second active layer and plot out blended splines based on the geometry of the digitized lines. Create your surfaces from the splines and you will get smooth geometry and cleaner surfaces. But the bottom line is that you need the software and parameters to be able to create the lines from the point cloud.