587,776 active members*
2,493 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tormach vise step mod

I have a Tormach 5" machinist vise and would like to modify the standard issue steel jaws with a 1/8" x 1/8" step along the top edge. I read on Tormach's site that the jaws are hardened steel and I wonder if this will require a special cutter or if a standard carbide 4 flute 1/2" EM will do the job. Also is 1/8" x 1/8" step the best step dimension?

Thanks for any feedback...Uman

Re: Tormach vise step mod

If you to machine the hardened steel jaws on your vise, the only thing you'll accomplish will be to destroy your end mill.

If you really need a step like that, either buy a set of step jaws, or buy some steel soft jaws and make your own step that way.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Uman View Post
    I have a Tormach 5" machinist vise and would like to modify the standard issue steel jaws with a 1/8" x 1/8" step along the top edge. I read on Tormach's site that the jaws are hardened steel and I wonder if this will require a special cutter or if a standard carbide 4 flute 1/2" EM will do the job. Also is 1/8" x 1/8" step the best step dimension?

Thanks for any feedback...Uman
    You'll have a rough time trying to machine those jaws. I have no idea exactly what steel or hardness they are, but its 'hard'. I suspect you'd want to grind that step, if you had your heart set on it.

A better option is probably to buy aluminum 'soft' jaws, which you can machine to your hearts content. 5" Vise Jaws - MonsterJaws Mfg would be a decent place to start; there are other outfits making similar jaws, but monster seems to be well regarded.

Thanks Guys
    I am glad I asked before I hit the button.
    Aluminum soft jaws are headed my way.

-Uman

Are the hardened jaws matched sets or can you replace just one?
    I gouged one jaw about a year ago not a pleasant experience.

The jaws are the standard issue with the Tormach 5" machinist vise and I do not know if they are a match set. With that point, Is just one jaw with a step acceptable? Before I fully appreciated the full value of a proper PDB adjustment, I had a 1/2" EM plunge smack dab into the top of the vise jaw. It plunged about .25" before I hit the E-stop button. It was a clean cut and no damage to the carbide cutter; it went fast and forceful. The machine still had that new feel to it then, so I really felt bad about that mistake. It's just a battle scar now.
    -uman

Quote Originally Posted by Uman View Post
    The jaws are the standard issue with the Tormach 5" machinist vise and I do not know if they are a match set. With that point, Is just one jaw with a step acceptable? Before I fully appreciated the full value of a proper PDB adjustment, I had a 1/2" EM plunge smack dab into the top of the vise jaw. It plunged about .25" before I hit the E-stop button. It was a clean cut and no damage to the carbide cutter; it went fast and forceful. The machine still had that new feel to it then, so I really felt bad about that mistake. It's just a battle scar now.
    -uman
    I took Steve's advise, I use soft jaws for everything now.

I ruined the jaws in a little 4" vise to start with, bought a nice 6" vise and got by for quite some time without a hickey in the jaws, then I got a couple hickeys, refaced it with a carbide cutter, removed them and put soft jaws on, not a hickey since ha!! Murphys Law or something??
    mike sr

I had a 1/2" EM plunge smack dab into the top of the vise jaw. It plunged about .25" before I hit the E-stop button. It was a clean cut and no damage to the carbide cutter; it went fast and forceful.
    So you already HAD the answer to your original question. You know a carbide cutter will cut the jaws just fine....

Regards,
    Ray L.

The jaws I cut were really hard, cutting a step in them, I would be hesitant as its an interrupted cut.

I did regrind the end of the cutter after facing them off.
    mike sr