587,427 active members*
7,040 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Ballscrews

Ballscrews

Hi there,

I have a set of ballscrews for my mill that I am going to install over the next few days. The only slight problem with them, is that they don't have any wipers.

I have heard of people making wipers to suit ballscrews. Does anyone here have any suggestions on how I can make/install wipers on my screws?

Thanks
    Warren
    Have a nice day...

You might try talking with the guys up at Lead Screws International... http://www.lsitvc.com/

Let us know how you make out..
    JR Walcott
    Georgia Machine Tool Resources, LLC

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Before I contact any companies, has anyone had any success making their own wipers? Mainly for cost saving reasons, I'd like to make my own if it is feasible, which I think it is.

Any ideas/suggestions/descriptions/photos etc. of DIY wipers that have worked?

Regards
    Warren
    Have a nice day...

Warren,

I'm confident that the guys up at LSI would be willing to talk with you (without asking for a P.O.) about the application... At least that is what I hear...

As for a simple wiper design, have you considered using industrial felt?
    JR Walcott
    Georgia Machine Tool Resources, LLC

I haven't tried it, but I've read on here about people coating the screw in oil and making wipers with hot glue. Sounds like it might work. you could give that a try.

Hello again,

I am going to machine my ballscrews today, but have a quick question.

Is it safe to grip the ballscrew directly in the chuck on the lathe without any protection, or should I use some kind of sleeve to protect it?

Thanks
    Warren

BTW, I think I'm going to try some DIY felt wipers on my screws.
    Have a nice day...

I havnt done it, but I have been reading on this forum that you need to use a sleeve. I believe you also need a sleeve at the other end (cutting end), just to use temperarily to run a dial indicator on, in order to center the screw. I havnt done this, but read it, and just passing on some info.

I made a set of wipers from the felt sold by Lowes (I think it's made to use under table lets (approx 1/2" thick)). It was a black sheet and I punched out the correct size for the od of the ball nut and undersized the screw hole and cut small slices in it to form kind of fingers. I then hot glued everything into place on the nut/screw after coating the screw with greese to prevent any sticking. I must admint that I haven't seen the screws in a while but when I was building the X/Y I ran them almost every day for a month or so and any contamination was not apparent. Seems to work OK and I'm comfortable with it. But, use at your own risk!!!
    billyjack
    :cheers:
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)