587,920 active members*
3,568 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

From Drawing to Milling

I have put together a machine from scratch using the KFlop/KAnalalog, Now I am stuck. I really dont know where to start with converting my drawing in Solidworks to G code. Can anybody point me in the right direction, what should I save my Solidworks file as, what program should I use to convert the drawing and be able to plug it into the KMotion software?

Thank you,
    Chris

Re: From Drawing to Milling

Which version of Solidworks? If it's fairly current than you can grab the free HSMworks CAM and start learning how to create the G-Code to run the machine. You can't go directly from Drawing to the machine that I am aware of at this time. You need CAM to create the setups and tools paths and the post processor which will then turn those into G-Code for the machine.

2014, I tried using solidcam with it but couldn't get a post processor that worked directly. With HSM there is a post processor that will generate code for Kmotion?

Thx!

There are folks on here using HSMworks with the Kflop so I suspect that there are but it's also my impression that a canned preconfigured post processor might not be ideal for you setup. There are folks around here that are a bit more clever than I about those topics. Someone will pop in a have better information than I.

I think you'll need a post processor that's very similar to one for EMC (now LinuxCNC), as KMotions interpreter was derived from EMC (scroll to the bottom of this page for info - G Code Screen), although even then you'll most likely need to customise it slightly. (I'm still using Mach3, so can't comment directly on KMotionCNC)

The biggest issue with going from a solidworks model to g-code, is you have to understand the process and limitations, which vary greatly between machines and the type of parts you'd like to machine.
    How many axis is your machine, and do you have any examples for the type of parts you'd like to machine?

I have a 3 axis machine with a wood router on it right now. Wasn't looking to make anything complicated, thought that carving out my name would be a good start to learn how things work. After I get the basics I will invest some money into a nice spindle. I thout about switching to Mach 3 just because there appears to be more support but I didn't want to invest any more money at this time...

Chris

In that case, you probably want to start with some relatively easy 2.5d type machining.
    The basic process is draw what you'd like to machine, which is usually done via a DXF if you're using a separate CAD package (quite a few CAM programmes will have an editor included, but may only save to a proprietary format) , then import the DXF in to a CAM package.

Personally, I'd say try CamBam. You get 30 program loads (opening CamBam is counted as one - once it's running, you can load/unload as many files as you like) without any limitations before having to buy a licence, and the CamBam support forum has plenty helpful users. It also includes a reasonable although basic editor.
    If you follow the guides, it should help give you an understanding of the processes involved, and then you can move on to more complex machining and/or look at how to achieve the same thing in other software.

Vectric is what I often see mentioned for router users, however I think it's pretty limited in demo mode, which is why I recommend CamBam to get started.
    Once you understand the basic process, it should then give you a better understanding to evaluate other software.

If your software has a emc pp start with that. If there are errors read trying to run with kmotion cnc list them here. Kmotion is a good program and less likely to run into issues than with mach3. It's also free and constantly being updated.

Ben