587,693 active members*
3,562 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

CNC Vice choice question

I have two Bridgeport's one manual step pulley machine and the other is a Boss 5 CNC Machine. I've had a Kurt 688 vice on my manual machine for many years and love it. I have a "CNC vice" on the CNC machine that only opens to 5" which is often not enough for me. I'd like to buy a new bigger vice for the CNC and I'm tempted to just buy another Kurt 688, but I see some vices are sold as "CNC vices". Is there anything to the CNC vice thing? Any reason a Kurt 688 would not be a good choice for a CNC machine? I don't need any fancy double vices or reverse jaw vices. I just want a great vice with a big capacity that will last over time.

Thanks

Re: CNC Vice choice question

Take a look at the Kurt 3600V series. I have one on my Boss 5.

-Mike

Thanks Mike. I'm sure this is a nice vice, but only opens to 6". What makes this type of vice better than a Kurt 688 which opens to nearly 9"? There has to be a reason these smaller capacity vices cost more money.

The sides on the 3X00 series are perpendicular to the base, with the mounting slots recessed into the body. You can butt multiple vises next to each other. Additionally, if you have a tall part, you could clamp it down on it's side -- at least that's what the guy at the auction told me when I got mine. I just picked up a used D60 for my round ram Bridgeport. It's a hell of an upgrade over the Brown & Sharpe vise that only opened 3". Check the Kurt page -- they sometimes have scratch & dent models on sale. Missed you at the CNC Workshop this week.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by panchula View Post
    The sides on the 3X00 series are perpendicular to the base, with the mounting slots recessed into the body. You can butt multiple vises next to each other. Additionally, if you have a tall part, you could clamp it down on it's side -- at least that's what the guy at the auction told me when I got mine. I just picked up a used D60 for my round ram Bridgeport. It's a hell of an upgrade over the Brown & Sharpe vise that only opened 3". Check the Kurt page -- they sometimes have scratch & dent models on sale. Missed you at the CNC Workshop this week.

-Mike

Couldn't get the time off from work to go to the workshop. How was it? I really wanted to go, but need my job more. Hopefully it was a success and they will do another one next year. I do have a vice of this style that I can flip on it's side should I need that. I can see how butting 2 together could be nice, but double's the price. I still think I'm going to get another 688.