587,104 active members*
4,373 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: 4th axis

Page 4 of 4 234

Re: 4th axis

my setup .... raised tailstock and table couple of inches using wood blocks .... had to tie table from back as well for titration .... ready to cut :-)

Attachment 282564

sorry did not realize picture was upside down ....

clean your machine
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by daniellyall View Post
    clean your machine
    i tried wd40 without much success .... anything else will help with the rust coating?

yep just need to find it

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

There are a lot of solutions that will convert or eat away the rust. Evaporust. CorrosionX rust remover. Note that a chemical rust converter will permanently stain your table and may pit it in places... but at least it will be a protective black oxide layer rather than rust.

Use 00 steel wool or some gentle scotchbrite pads (white or dark gray NOT GREEN! the color shows the grade of harshness) to gently mechanically get rid of the rust. If you don't mind taking your mill apart to treat individual pieces, some people use an electrolytic process to get rid of the rust.

Hand Pads | MSCDirect.com
    Hand Pads | MSCDirect.com

When you get your machine back where you want it, squeegee your machine clean at the end of the day, and spray it (or wipe it) with a coat of oil to keep the rust at bay.

Also, I would recommend you read a number of the other threads here talking about coolant solutions. Whatever you are using doesn't seem to keep the rust at bay. RustLick WS5050 or Blasocut, and use a refractometer.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...4-tormach.html
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

tmarks11,
    thank you for the help and information. my machine is in the garage with high humidity level plus i am not able to use the machine from nov-april .... information will increase the life of my machine. as for coolant, so far i am been working with wood and have not used coolant.
    regards,
    azam

when you don't use it for a long time use a fine mix of paraffin and canuba wax rub the machine down with a rag, 00 steel wool or scotch bright pad it will seal the machine of from air then when you go back to using it rub it down with WD40 / CRC, it`s the best and cheapest way for protecting old guns collector items or any steel surfaces.

it`s a pita to do but it pays of in the long run also some wood types can make steel go rusty.

there is stuff you can spray on but a way that's been done 00 of years is just as good just more work

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Daniellyall. Will take the easy route first. Haven't visited harbor freight store opened close to my home. Will get Evoporust gallon tomorrow and will try it first. Cheers

it all works it`s just how much time you have, its gone from 4th axis to cleaning machinery

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

actually i am still stuck with 4th axis. made the first cut on 4th axis box :-) Have few questions ... hope somebody will help ...

1) I think I had about 15 inch long stock, is this too long? I was hearing chattering at the far side. How to fix this?
    2) Can I do better on holding the stock on the table side? Is there any holder for square or rectangle stock. Any solution without buying more attachment?
    3) On the tail side, stock moved down due to cutter pressure. Is there any attachment I am missing for the tail? this may be causing chatter as I mentioned in (1).
    4) CAM generated G1 Axyz and 4th axis move very slow. I know where G1 speed come from and for x, y and z I know F command set G1 speed. How about A axis? Any Aspire user?

Thanks
    Attachment 282720
    Attachment 282722

photo orientation was correct on my computer ... wish there is a way to view the pictures before pressing the post button.

Quote Originally Posted by azam1959 View Post
    actually i am still stuck with 4th axis. made the first cut on 4th axis box :-) Have few questions ... hope somebody will help ...

1) I think I had about 15 inch long stock, is this too long? I was hearing chattering at the far side. How to fix this?
    2) Can I do better on holding the stock on the table side? Is there any holder for square or rectangle stock. Any solution without buying more attachment?
    3) On the tail side, stock moved down due to cutter pressure. Is there any attachment I am missing for the tail? this may be causing chatter as I mentioned in (1).
    4) CAM generated G1 Axyz and 4th axis move very slow. I know where G1 speed come from and for x, y and z I know F command set G1 speed. How about A axis? Any Aspire user?

Thanks
    Attachment 282720
    Attachment 282722
    The tailstock Looks thin? That could be chatter problem.

Coordinated moves cause a axis to arrive at the endpoint at the same time as xyz. No separate feed rate. If xyx Speed doesn't match feed then a axis configuration needs mod.

Thanks Kvom. Whenever you get a chance, please post picture of your machine tail stock. I thought part of tailstock would rotate with wood stock but I do not have any moving part which tear the wood which cause the slip with the cutter pressure. Non circular stock did not help either.
    As for axis coordination, I think I am fine but will double check measurements during next cut.
    Thanks again for the lead.

you need a live center not a dead centre

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 4 of 4 234