587,744 active members*
3,328 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: Charter I.H. Clone build

Quote Originally Posted by buddydog View Post
    Thank you. I have an old grizzly 12X36 lathe and understand the annealing process and no hurry on my account on any of this but it does seem the ballscrews, nuts and mounts/bearings might be the first thing I should get when the money becomes available. Next motorize X and then I can sell the RF31 for more fun chips. I like the idea of steppers the way you have chosen to do it with brute force to minimize the chance of lost steps. Anyway sounds like a fun project to compliment the laser cutter and 3D printer.
    OK here is my lengths. I made them a bit longer as I don't want you to be short. Y axis = 32" X axis = 45" Z axis 32". On my X axis I hid the bearing blocks under the X axis table ends so they don't stick out. The 45" measure meant was if you where going to put them on the outside. I bought mine at Automation Technologies so just buy the closest stock size with 1 end done. Make sure you buy the closet ones but longer or is it's close let me know and I'll measure closer depending where your going to mount your bearing blocks.

Re: Charter I.H. Clone build

After using the machine now quite a bit the most useful setup is the ability to shut off the power to the motors while in mach3. It gives the ability to reposition quickly without jogging back and forth and setting a new zero. The other thing I couldn't live without now is the Z axis control without turning on mach3 to run it. It's just a little circuit board that I wired in to give the Z motor step signals. Love it.