587,259 active members*
3,000 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Unable to save features - V25

Unable to save features - V25

I have a licensed copy of Bobcad V25 and just 'got back into' the cnc world. It's quite possible that I am doing something wrong... but... when I right click on a feature to save it, click on 'save feature' etc, I don't get a dialogue box prompting me to save and name it. What am I doing wrong here?

I even went as far as to save the drawing, close BobCad all together and right click the shortcut and 'run as administrator'. No luck.

Ideas?

Re: Unable to save features - V25

Update, I went through my various features on this particular drawing, and only the very first feature allowed me to save it - it's only a 'center drill' operation.

I found this to be a bug in V25. If you right click a feature you were just working on and tell it to save, it won't open box. Click on another feature or item in Cam tree, then again right click the feature you want to save. It will work then. I'm just used to doing it always

I am just about sick of this product. For the longest time, maybe a couple years, their sales people called over and over and over trying to sell me something when I didn't have a machine (and told them that!!) - No matter how rude I was, no matter how many times I griped - they STILL called back. Now, I finally have one and get to use the software, and it's buggy. Figures, just my luck. lol.

Thanks for the help Tony, I will try that out when I get home tonight

Frustrations occur doing CAD/CAM,,,,at least for me,,specially when just starting out..
    If you have not already heard,,here is a great place to help learn the software https://www.youtube.com/user/Depoalo...view=0&sort=dd
    That and also post your questions here.If necessary,post a file that is giving you troubles also.There are a bunch of us that have used V25.Trust me,with more time with the software,,it just gets easier and easier.
    BoB is not free of little bugs and little quirks,,but there are ways to deal with them.Reason I like the software is all about the $$$$$$$$$$$Can't really beat the value with how powerful this sofwtare can be.I just can't justify spending 5X as much along with yearly dues for something better.

Hmmmm........

https://youtu.be/tr7jfA7DpNM

The initial question? Probably the system isn't saving a feature which has been edited but not re-computed?

The next post? Lays out a rip on sales and calls the software the issue. Lets see, loads the what, "FIVE YEAR OLD VERSION"..... Starts hacking and slashing away and Comes to a public forum to lay it all on "buggy software"?

Hmmm.....

I haven`t had any issues with saving features out in V25, either instantly after creation, with/without toolpaths or after editing, saving and re-loading, I get exactly the same as Burrs video, I`ve tried to replicate your issue but I`ve not been able to at all, it just works.

Perhaps it`s your installation but it isn`t something I`ve come across before in V25, what Build are you on ? Mine is Version 25.000 (Build 895) on 3 axis Pro.

Perhaps if you upload a problem file it can be looked at by someone ? ?

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Burrman, Yes, You got it right - very frustrated with their vulture-esque sales people. They were calling trying to 'upgrade' me after only a month or two, if that. They called MANY times, sometimes several times a month. This didn't even include the times I didn't answer!! You can only take so much. A follow up call maybe 2-3 times a year, sure. 20-30 times a year? Really?? Regardless, 5 year old or not - it should still function properly.
    Life got in the way, and I sold my equipment and was out of machine work for a couple years, so I only used it a handful times and those times didn't require the saving of features. Mainly just some wireframes to be taken to the laser shop. When you can save a feature (a center drill operation) at the top of the CAM tree just fine, and recall it just the same...but then try the exact same process on a feature just a few spaces down and it doesn't work - I'd call that buggy, I don't know what you'd call it - but it's not 'right'.
    I didn't see the last few replies till now, but when I get home I'll confirm the build version. When I browse for features to load, I still get several others available that I have saved in the past. I thought I had saved this particular feature too, but it's not there.

EDIT: I can't see the video at work, but I just got to see it on my phone. Saving a feature and recalling it is a very simple process, your video shows exactly what I am doing.

The feature you are trying to save, does it have any characters in it that are not valid for use in filenames?

In V26 if you try to save a toolpath with this name:

Feature Mill Hole - 0.2010"

it will warn you that the filename is invalid (the &quot on the end)

In V25 it just fails to save if there are any invalid characters. Just a stab in the dark but it's happened to me.

- - - Updated - - -

The feature you are trying to save, does it have any characters in it that are not valid for use in filenames?

In V26 if you try to save a toolpath with this name:

Feature Mill Hole - 0.2010"

it will warn you that the filename is invalid (the &quot on the end)

In V25 it just fails to save if there are any invalid characters. Just a stab in the dark but it's happened to me.

Thank you very much, that is likely it. The feature in question is for a 1/4NPT thread, and I think the "/" is in the name.

...wait, if the feature is named as "1/4 NPT" - that will cause it to fail, or do you mean that if you get the dialogue box and try to put in a name with a special character? (I don't even get to the dialogue box)

Yeah, you won't even get the dialogue box. It just sits there if I recall. The "/" would definitely cause it to halt but no warning.

Hope that fixes you up.

Make sure you are on the current Build of BoB.
    Go to "help",,,,,,,,"about BoBCAD" and you should be on Build 996,,,if you are not,,go here Software Updates | BobCAD Support Portal

jsyk,,,"/" cannot be in a file name

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    Make sure you are on the current Build of BoB.
    Go to "help",,,,,,,,"about BoBCAD" and you should be on Build 996,,,if you are not,,go here Software Updates | BobCAD Support Portal

jsyk,,,"/" cannot be in a file name
    If you are going to go for the 996 build make sure you have a saved copy of the 895 build, just in case you may need to "roll back" to 895 as I had to do, there are a number of issues that appeared in build 996, I haven`t had any problems since I rolled back

Just for your info

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

SBC Cycle, thanks - your solution worked. I can't believe I didn't think about that. In fact, it's possible that I did this before.. lol. IDK.

Thanks again, you rock!!