587,442 active members*
3,036 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 5 of 6 3456

Re: Anyone Load PathPilot yet?

The network share is extremely useful. I ditched the USB keys as soon as it got stable in the early betas. Now that it's confirmed in the release, I suggest it to anybody with the infrastructure in place.

There needs to be a way to change the domain name from the default of WORKGROUP.

I have sent the request to the PathPilot Support Team via email.

David

I got PP loaded and running with a minimum of trouble. The first thing I discovered is that the probe setup and operation is buggy. Was able to use standard edge finders to set my work offsets. Was able to run a part that uses 5 different Gcode files with very good results.

Dave

Am I missing something with PathPilot? It may be obvious but I am not seeing it.

Where do I type in my work offsets?
    Donald

The offsets tab.. switch from the tool table.

Installed it on the 770 and other than the previously noted problem of getting the dvd out after the install ( I just powered down restarted and once it was done booting up from the dvd again I ejected it, then powered it down again (no paper clip)
    It restarted and all was good.

One thing I did notice is that the sound of the machine is different when the motors are moving the table or head. Was really noticeable using the jog pendant at the lower speeds. Figure that has to do with the new controller and the way it commands the motors to step.

Other than the difference in sound,ran a quick program in the air and all seemed to be fine. I did move the spindle and feed sliders and they worked fine but when I moved the maxvel slider it didn't seem to adjust the anything in a slider fashion. It would stop everything at 0% but then as you brought it off 0% it seemed to go right back to normal speed.

Looking forward to cutting some new parts!

Quote Originally Posted by fish66 View Post
    Installed it on the 770 and other than the previously noted problem of getting the dvd out after the install ( I just powered down restarted and once it was done booting up from the dvd again I ejected it, then powered it down again (no paper clip)
    It restarted and all was good.

One thing I did notice is that the sound of the machine is different when the motors are moving the table or head. Was really noticeable using the jog pendant at the lower speeds. Figure that has to do with the new controller and the way it commands the motors to step.

Other than the difference in sound,ran a quick program in the air and all seemed to be fine. I did move the spindle and feed sliders and they worked fine but when I moved the maxvel slider it didn't seem to adjust the anything in a slider fashion. It would stop everything at 0% but then as you brought it off 0% it seemed to go right back to normal speed.

Looking forward to cutting some new parts!

I noticed that about the Maxvel slider as well, seems to limit based on the max speed of the axis, not the programmed speed. The steppers do sound different in the middle of the speeds jogging, a little higher pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    I can see the machine (TORMACHPCNC) on my network and the Gcode share. However, what is the default password and how do I change it?

operator/pcnc

So I have a network cable plugged in but not seeing the controller on my network.
    The instructions say to make sure networking (LAN) is enabled in the bios.
    I looked and see several settings that hint they may enable/disable networkish stuff.

Anyone know the proper settings?
    I have the newer proprietary Tormach sold PC.

Thanks,

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ctweber01 View Post
    So I have a network cable plugged in but not seeing the controller on my network.
    The instructions say to make sure networking (LAN) is enabled in the bios.
    I looked and see several settings that hint they may enable/disable networkish stuff.

Anyone know the proper settings?
    I have the newer proprietary Tormach sold PC.

Thanks,

Chris

I don't have the BIOS in front of me but I have the same controller. There are two pages that have network settings. Ignore the first one (network stack /ip4/ip6 etc). Those can be disabled (its for booting). It's on the second page where you have to enable the onboard NIC. That should do it.

Quote Originally Posted by nickfabb View Post
    I don't have the BIOS in front of me but I have the same controller. There are two pages that have network settings. Ignore the first one (network stack /ip4/ip6 etc). Those can be disabled (its for booting). It's on the second page where you have to enable the onboard NIC. That should do it.
    Thanks!

So after posting I just tried all variations of the settings you mention finally settling on just the second page (periphials) and enabled the nic.

my other computers still don't see the controller

is it apparent on the controller itself that it is connected to a network?
    getting tired running back into my office to check every time I try something new on the controller

thanks!

Thanks!

So after posting I just tried all variations of the settings you mention finally settling on just the second page (periphials) and enabled the nic.

my other computers still don't see the controller

is it apparent on the controller itself that it is connected to a network?
    getting tired running back into my office to check every time I try something new on the controller

thanks!
    That should do it. Ensure the network adapter lights are blinking. You can also go to your router's admin pages and verify that the tormach requested a dhcp address. Next check following that would be to edit a gcode on in Path Pilot and go to Help- Get Online Help. That will bring up firefox and you can see if you are on the internet. If you are the internet ok that will tell you the problem is on your local network. If this still does not work, you may need to type ADMIN NETWORK in the MDI box and create an entry for Wired Connection (using defaults).

well, I finally got a break in jobs and decided to load pathpilot, and so far I can't even get the machine to reset.

it loaded fine, needed to use a paper clip to eject but now it doesn't even rest. any help is greatly appreciated

I pretty much need this thing to be working again by the end of the day tomorrow or i'm screwed

Quote Originally Posted by Concepts_Design View Post
    well, I finally got a break in jobs and decided to load pathpilot, and so far I can't even get the machine to reset.

it loaded fine, needed to use a paper clip to eject but now it doesn't even rest. any help is greatly appreciated

I pretty much need this thing to be working again by the end of the day tomorrow or i'm screwed

Make sure you switch the parallel cable to the other port on your controller PC. This was missing from the original instructions shipped with my software.

thank you very much sir, yes this would have been nice to have in the instructions...

Make sure you switch the parallel cable to the other port on your controller PC. This was missing from the original instructions shipped with my software.

I received my DVD and upgrade card today. I have an older PC with the PCI slot purchased around 2010. I could not boot off the supplied DVD, Some others have mentioned this problem as well. On a whim I copied the Tormach DVD to a DVD-R disk and a DVD+R disk using imgburn. Success! The system will boot off of the DVD+R disk but not the DVD-R disk. My guess is that the Tormach supplied media is DVD-R format. Hope this helps someone else. Onwards with the rest of the upgrade now.

Mark

I'm sure this is already covered somewhere but I haven't found it, so i'll ask anyways.

Setting up the ATC, do I follow the same directions as in the original manual? I imagine so, but are there any little differences that I should know about?

Thanks
    Kyle

got the atc all set up, no issues there. now have a question about the ETS , just want to make sure before I drive a tool into something because I didn't set the tool offsets correctly.

When using the ETS do I have to enter the height of the ETS (3.1500) somewhere or is it already taken into account? I ask because it used to show you the height of the ETS right on the screen, now there's nothing

Tried calling Tormach a couple hours ago, but no return call yet and I'm getting kind of anxious to start cutting again

Thanks
    Kyle

It does show 3.15 on one of the screens.. it works the same as before. I set 0 on the table and then use the ETS sitting on that and it works just fine.

Thanks, found it on the probe screen. Thought it would be shown on the offsets page. trying to be super cautious in setting everything up

Quote Originally Posted by compunerdy View Post
    It does show 3.15 on one of the screens.. it works the same as before. I set 0 on the table and then use the ETS sitting on that and it works just fine.

Page 5 of 6 3456