587,490 active members*
6,068 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Okuma Howa Fanuc OT MDI problems

Okuma Howa Fanuc OT MDI problems

Machine: 92' Okuma Howa act 3
    Control: Fanuc 0t (b/c not sure how to tell?)

Background:

Just purchased and installed this new to me lathe. At my real job I mainly run Haas controls and a newer 16T. From what I can tell all is well, machine homes and runs fine. I can write and edit programs. All key pad buttons and soft keys seem to work. So far I've searched and found answers to most of my problems here and on the web in general but two things still aren't making sense.

1st Problem:

I home the machine, all power indicator lights are lit. Switch to MDI with the panel switch and page to "MDI". I then am given a screen with " program MDI" in the upper left and the current program number upper right. A cursor is flashing under "program MDI". At the bottom of the screen I'm prompted to enter an address. I type a letter and receive a prompt for a number. I then enter a number ex: M03 the cursor now remains under the 3 and no combinations of keys I've found will get this string up to the top or in a place where cycle start will cause it to be read. Ex: "M03 ; (press input) ". I've tried m08, X1. , and a host of others with and without EOB. The eob writes the code in edit mode but does absolutely nothing here.

Any ideas? I've talked to local techs and had a lengthy phone diagnosis session with fanuc support. No solutions so far. What am I missing?

2nd problem.

I go to my offsets page and have soft key options for wear, geometry and w.shift. I can toggle between wear and geometry edit and store values just fine but I can't get the workshift screen to come up. I can shift my offset with g50 just fine but a page to view and change it would certainly be nice. Is this an option I don't have? If so why do I have the menu option?

Both of these problems are really just annoyances as I can still run parts but somthing isnt right or im not doing something right. Chances are its the latter. Any help I can get with this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Josh.

Re: Okuma Howa Fanuc OT MDI problems

sounds like your machine is not Fanuc, or is customized. there normally is no prompt for number/letter or whatever. just a cursor.
    take a photo of the control and post it here and we will know a bit more.

in MDI mode, press [PROGRAM] then enter commands using the [INSERT] key.
    try this.... clamp something in the chuck. MDI (mode), press [PROGRAM] (hard key), type G97 S100 M3 ; (i.e. EOB) then press [INSERT]. then press start and the spindle will rotate at 200rpm.

when you see the menu item 'WSHIFT' what happens when you press that softkey?

this is all pretty basic stuff. did you read the manuals? I'm guessing not.....

Well I thought you were actually being helpful at first, then I read your last sentence and realized I made a mistake coming to this forum... Back to Practical Machinist for me

Hello sir. I send you a Private message to try and help you and have not heard back, so please not leave before checking your inbox

its unlikely you'll find the answer there. you obviously went there first and found no solution.
    if you wont upload a photo and offer more info all I can say is goodbye :wave:

Quote Originally Posted by Radcon91 View Post
    Well I thought you were actually being helpful at first, then I read your last sentence and realized I made a mistake coming to this forum... Back to Practical Machinist for me