587,369 active members*
3,408 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > 10,000 RPM spindle servo motor

10,000 RPM spindle servo motor

So my spindle right now is driven by a 7.5hp AC induction motor & VFD. I have it limited to 5k rpm, which I am satisfied with. I would like to convert to a servo driven spindle, but I have not found a servo motor capable of that RPM (directly driven). My question is, how do the big manufacturers do it? I am pretty sure at least some of the 10,000 rpm spindles I have used were direct drive.
    What do I need to look for to find a motor capable of 5000 rpm and still have decent hp? I don't need 7.5. 2 or 3 would likely be enough.
    I have a 3.5hp servo with a max of 3000 rpm. If I put a 2:1 pulley on it I will have the rpm, but will likely not have enough hp.
    Suggestions?
    If you try to make everything idiot proof, someone will just breed a better idiot!

Re: 10,000 RPM spindle servo motor

Maybe I am better off keeping my current setup and changing my VFD to a vector drive like this:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/HITACHI-WJ20...item1c4f66f7cc
    This should give me spindle orient, and the potential to rigid tap, correct?
    If you try to make everything idiot proof, someone will just breed a better idiot!

jderou

Most likely will get you heading in the right direction,but you need a spindle encoder feed back, to the control, then a control that can synchronize the Z axes with the spindle to do rigid tapping
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by jderou View Post
    So my spindle right now is driven by a 7.5hp AC induction motor & VFD. I have it limited to 5k rpm, which I am satisfied with. I would like to convert to a servo driven spindle, but I have not found a servo motor capable of that RPM (directly driven). My question is, how do the big manufacturers do it? I am pretty sure at least some of the 10,000 rpm spindles I have used were direct drive.
    What do I need to look for to find a motor capable of 5000 rpm and still have decent hp? I don't need 7.5. 2 or 3 would likely be enough.
    I have a 3.5hp servo with a max of 3000 rpm. If I put a 2:1 pulley on it I will have the rpm, but will likely not have enough hp.
    Suggestions?
    The biggest difference between a standard motor and a Spindle motor is Bearings and balancing. It usually takes precision (expensive) angular thrust bearings to run cool above 6000 rpm.
    You could try changing the bearings in a good quality AC 3600rpm motor and have it precision balanced and probably get 4800-6000 rpm running the inverter at 80-100 hz.

On a different note, Its hard to believe that a 1.8L 4 cylinder Honda piston engine with crankshaft, valves, pistons going up and down, and all the moving parts can run at 9000 rpm ... and a electric motor can't , wow !

Larry K

Larry,
    I am already pushing the limits of my AC motor . I should be maxed out at 3600, but I have been running it at 5000 for some time now. Seems to be fairly well balanced. I actually had it up to 7000 once briefly, that was pushing it way too far.
    Interesting point about the 4 cylinder though, heck sportbikes are up 16,000+ rpm!
    I am thinking it makes more sense for my application to go with the vector drive. I may be able to sell my big servo and drive and get enough to buy the hitachi vfd.

Cause the big boys charge lots of money
    10K and higher are available, its just really pricey. Yaskawa has some for open architecture. Fanuc is also a big player, but your pretty much stuck with using there controls.

You can also get a 12000 rpm (not 18K or 24K) Perske or Colombo for lower speed cutting. We had a 6Hp 12000 rpm one on a big machine we made.
    The make Granite cutting spindles too that may do the job.

Larry