587,192 active members*
2,310 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Lathe quote

Page 1 of 2 12

Lathe quote

Just curious if anyone wants to throw a few numbers at this.

I was just playing with an idea in the emachineshop software, and for 100 pieces, thought their price was a little on the high side. Maybe I'm wrong.

Material would be any aluminum that will anodize or maybe even powder coat easily.

Image has dimensions. Tolerance is +/- .01 on everything, the only 'hard' thing I would think, is the inside needs to blend within .001-.002. Less if possible. Can the inside all be done with the same tool?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails puck.jpg  
    Dustin B.
    ================
    I hear and I forget.
    I see and I remember.
    I do and I understand.

Whats the dia.
    Tim

Oops hehe.

3.5"
    Dustin B.
    ================
    I hear and I forget.
    I see and I remember.
    I do and I understand.

Hey Dustin,

You could finish the face with one tool - at least up to the outer most point on the diameter. Iscar has some face groove/turn tools, and/or wheel machining tools that would work. Otherwise it could be done with two conventional tools and blended. Any lathe that is in reasonable shape would be able to do this consistently.

What is the parallelism required? What about surface finish (especially on the back)? You mentioned anodizing or powder coating. If it is anodized (aluminium), surface finish will need to be better than with powder coating (material can be anything). Which would you want? When do you want them?

Let me know........

Adam

Adam, thanks for the responce. I would assume that a finish meant for powder coat would be cheaper to acheive, so that is probably what I would be looking for. Some engraving after powder coat would be done, so parallelism would need to be decent. Maybe +/-.003(?). The back side would also be powder coated, so it could be left as unfinished, as long as it didn't have a bunch of dings and scratches.

Time frame?......probably a few months. But like I said in my original post, I was just playing around with an idea. It may never materialize.
    Dustin B.
    ================
    I hear and I forget.
    I see and I remember.
    I do and I understand.

If you are planning on powder coating then why a .001" - .003" tolerance? Your powder coating is going to blow your tolerancing.

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

Experimental Shop

Quote Originally Posted by DAB_Design
    Just curious if anyone wants to throw a few numbers at this.

I was just playing with an idea in the emachineshop software, and for 100 pieces, thought their price was a little on the high side. Maybe I'm wrong.

Material would be any aluminum that will anodize or maybe even powder coat easily.

Image has dimensions. Tolerance is +/- .01 on everything, the only 'hard' thing I would think, is the inside needs to blend within .001-.002. Less if possible. Can the inside all be done with the same tool?
    I can e-mail you a quote,my e-mail is [email protected]

Sorry to bring this back up, but after a year I"m going to go ahead and go forward with this.

As soon as I get some stuff sold (here in the classifieds - 3 axis servo/ gecko setup) I will be moving forward with this.

I will need someone to machine these. Either lathe or mill - so long as the finish is decent. I will also need them powder coated. 50 red and 50 black - matte finish. There will be secondary machining/engraving done after the powder coat. But I don't have the designs done yet so those won't matter. Plus I think I already have someone in mind for that (ready to reverse roles Mike? ) The chamfer on the back side is not necessary, but if it doesn't raise the price too much, it would make them look better. Electrical contact for powder coating will need to be on the back side (opposite pocket) and kept within a 1" diameter from the center.

You will need to provide material. Shipping will also need to be added in. Zip code is 67152.

You can either reply here or email me at dab_design @ sutv . com (remove the spaces).
    Dustin B.
    ================
    I hear and I forget.
    I see and I remember.
    I do and I understand.

Dustin...I would sure look at this as a casting (die or otherwise)project and use some post machining to clean up those area that you consider critical......personally I don't see any feasible way that someone is going to handle the machining on the rim without some post-operative operation.....

Would the tooling costs alone for casting be pretty high? I downloaded emachineshop again and rechecked the price (couldn't remember what the quote was the first time), and it's not that bad. Very low compared to the casting. Tooling alone for having them cast was over 2k.

I don't know much about casting. But wouldn't it still be more expensive to have these cast, then having machine work done on them, rather than machining alone?

Also, they don't have to be done on a lathe. That's just what I had originally posted over a year ago. I would be happy with a good finish off a mill.
    Dustin B.
    ================
    I hear and I forget.
    I see and I remember.
    I do and I understand.

Talking

Hi DAB_Design,

The high cost of casting is in the patterns and the time & labor it takes to make these, alot of pattern shops still do it the old fashioned way, out of wood. I really don't see 2K to make these for this simple a part unless I'm missing something. Casting them would be something to look at if you wanted 10,000 not 100, although you could build your own backyard foundry and DIY. Just my thoughts.

spottiepop

If you have a bid from emachineshop that's reasonable....then go with them...

What are you will to pay for them.What do you think is a fair price .It loos like a simple job to me .
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by ViperTX
    If you have a bid from emachineshop that's reasonable....then go with them...
    Mainly because part of the money I will get for selling the items on this forum (here is a link, by the way I lowered the price today )is going to pay for this. So I'd like to keep the money here.

SpottiePop, an excellent suggestion. However since I'm selling off most of my stuff I had bought to convert a machine to CNC because I didn't have time to put towards it, I don't think I would have time to learn to cast these then machine them myself. And the chances of ever getting to the 10,000qty. is probably unlikely.

timlkallam, I'm willing to pay the least amount that you will take to do them. A fair price? How about free? lol
    Dustin B.
    ================
    I hear and I forget.
    I see and I remember.
    I do and I understand.

Hi Dustin,

What kind of wood do you want them made from? :banana:

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

:idea: haha you silly man
    Dustin B.
    ================
    I hear and I forget.
    I see and I remember.
    I do and I understand.

I have sent you a quote to your personal e-mail. Let me know what you think

Mike
    [email protected]
    www.hessemachine.com

Mike, didn't recieve anything.
    Dustin B.
    ================
    I hear and I forget.
    I see and I remember.
    I do and I understand.

Well I have one question how are the 'experts' proposing to handle the rim profile on a lathe......

I don't mean to be rude but ,you have already got a quote from emachineshop and you said it was to high.Well in my dealings with emachineshop the person that quotes a jobs and wins will at best break even on the job. I have seen bids on emachineshop so low that would not cover the cost of the material. This tells me you want the parts made for next to nothing. So if you want to get a quote don't ever mention emachineshop .

As for the rim or the back side . After machining it I would cut it off on the band saw 3.5 inches is a little deep for a cut off tool. Then i would take it to the mill and put it on a vacum chuck where it would only be held on the inside bottom and machine the back side flat. If you tried to machine the back side in a lathe chuck it would distort it.

Another thing that would help you with your quote IF possible is to make your part a little smaller on the dia.
    Who ever makes this part will have to make it out of a bigger piece of bar stock thus more machining.If you made this part .025 smaller the machinist could use a 3.5
    dia. bar insted of 3.75 bar .
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12