587,817 active members*
3,013 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC Jr. Table Top Mill

Does anyone have any comments on this machine?

CNC Jr. Table Top Mill

http://www.cncmasters.com/CNC%20Jr%20Mill.htm#features

Thinking about purchasing one.

Greg Pietersma

Well it runs Windows software which is enough of a crime to rule out the machine right there.

It is also a round column mill so that is strike two. That would actually be the primary reason to reccomend agianst buying into this hardware.

There was little info aobut price there so I can't say much about that. Further I'd want to know exactly what components made upt the machine. Everything from the powersupply to the drivers before I made a purchase. Beyond that it appears to be one of your basic imported mills.

Of course like all good things it depends on what you are looking for in a mill. For a General purpose CNC solution I'd have to say it is not what you want.

Dave

I have to agree. THe round column means only 5" of travel in the Z. So imagine a job with multiple tool changes. First you have a collet in there with an endmill, milling away. Then you have to drill a hole. So you would need to change the tool to a drill chuck, and probably raise the head, which means resetting your zero's.
    On a bridgeport series II CNC at my school, the knee is manual and the quill is CNC. THis gives about 6" of travel. Yes you have to manually move the knee, but you don't lose position. Thats the big negative about it. Besides that, it looks solid

Are you crazy? (chair) I don’t deny I am a Tormach fan, so I'm biased, but this thing is yesterday man. You've not been paying attention. Buying such a machine at that price is a hangable offence. It’s a USD 800 machine with a USD 4,500 CNC conversion, but it will always be a USD 800 machine.

Seriously though, this is definitely not best in class for the money. Others have clearly stated why. The main problem is the round column, the short Z travel and the probable backlash in the Z travel.

Regards
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by gpietersma
    Does anyone have any comments on this machine?

CNC Jr. Table Top Mill

http://www.cncmasters.com/CNC%20Jr%20Mill.htm#features

Thinking about purchasing one.

Greg Pietersma

i'ld take a look at the SYIL machines

there is a whole thread on them in the BENCHTOP MACHINES section

anyway that machine at that price looks like a rip off to me,even as i don't have a clue at what you'll be using it for

THis is true also, over 4k for that thing is a rip off at its best. Excuse me, price is nearly 6!
    For that, I would expect ground ballscrews and all of the bells and whistles. The closed loop servo system, all that. Looks like 34 frame steppers on there

Quote Originally Posted by ironDigit
    i'ld take a look at the SYIL machines

there is a whole thread on them in the BENCHTOP MACHINES section

anyway that machine at that price looks like a rip off to me,even as i don't have a clue at what you'll be using it for
    I second the SYIL machine comment. The X3 looks like a great machine, I will be buying one within a month. You get the SuperX3 with this, good stuff. And you will have something like 15 inches of non position losing Z axis travel. Much nicer :cheers:

The CNC Jr. Table Top Mill is off my list!
    Thanks everyone. I am finding this site very helpful - you guys/gals are great.

To phantomcow2 - what will you be using the machine foe . I am looking for a machine that I can create dies/punches for light gauge metal.
    Greg

I will be using the X3 for everything. In the immediate, like all my other machine tools, all projects are upgrades to the machine itself. Then I plan to turn this into a nice CNC conversion. I will probably make parts for RC toys, robots, things like that. Steel and aluminum, about 50% of each.
    When you say dies/punches, do you mean like a letter punch? In that there is a design pounded into sheet metal?
    You could probably do this with the SYIL conversion. I'm guessing that conversion has some good resolution. You could go with a 45 degree endmill, making sharp edges of a design and milling away all you don't need. Then harden it, and off you are.

Not like a letter punch - think of a hole punch.
    I am thinking of two ways to go
    On way would be to try using a small cnc milling machine. I am concerned about generating enough accuracy this way as the die clearances are about .003".
    The second way would be to upgrade from my drill/mill machine to a more robust mill with a good DRO.

What is the product material. How many items do you need to produce. Do the dies need to be hardened/temper steel. A light weight machine may not be able to machine the die/punch material.

You need to give more details.

Regards
    Phil

The CNC Jr. Table Top Mill is off my list!
    Thanks everyone. I am finding this site very helpful - you guys/gals are great.

To phantomcow2 - what will you be using the machine foe . I am looking for a machine that I can create dies/punches for light gauge metal.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by phil burman
    What is the product material. How many items do you need to produce. Do the dies need to be hardened/temper steel. A light weight machine may not be able to machine the die/punch material.

You need to give more details.

Regards
    Phil

GOod point. The kind of material to punch holes in metal will need to be some type of tool steel. Or better yet, tungsten carbide. Tool still is some hard stuff to machine, I do a lot of D2 at work. I think you could do it on a small benchtop mill, but light cuts and carbide endmills are a must.

I have taken the advice of all of you and have changed gears.
    The ability to cut tool steel is a must. The material I am punching is .015 tinplate.
    I am anticipating that I will have to harden the dies.

So my next tact is to get a knee mill and add DRO. I may not produce the dies as fast as if I had CNC- but I probably will only make 5-10 dies per year.
    G.

How many items do you need to make with each die.

0.015" tinplate is pretty easy to cut. What shape do the dies need to be.

Regards
    Phil

I have taken the advice of all of you and have changed gears.
    The ability to cut tool steel is a must. The material I am punching is .015 tinplate.
    I am anticipating that I will have to harden the dies.

So my next tact is to get a knee mill and add DRO. I may not produce the dies as fast as if I had CNC- but I probably will only make 5-10 dies per year.
    G.

Need 20-25000 pieces per die.
    Ornamental shapes - bell shape, star shape.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by phil burman
    How many items do you need to make with each die.

0.015" tinplate is pretty easy to cut. What shape do the dies need to be.

Regards
    Phil

bell and star shape dies will be difficult to manually make. Most medium sized and up bench mills should be able to cut tool steel okay, it just is a matter of how deep you go and fast. Also, a mill which is not rigid will leave a poor finish, something I would think is undesirable. If you were prepared to pay nearly 6000 dollars, I suggest looking at teh mightiest bench mill of all.
    http://www.industrialhobbies.com/
    http://www.industrialhobbies.com/Mer...ategory_Code=R

You could probably get the CNC conversion done a lot cheaper, but this would be bolt on I think. So if you are not interested in getting technical, its the way to go. That mill has nearly as much travel as a bridgeport, and WILL cut tool steel.