587,426 active members*
4,549 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 3 123

Re: automation cnc kit?

Thanks for the responses. I will have to check the videos and diagrams of the various items, so I make sure I get needed cables, etc. I see Wiggles84 is using a toroidal power supply. Would that be better than using a regular PS such as a KL-600-48? Do I need another PS for 5V?
    Thanks and sorry to hijack the original post.

If you get a toroidal to use with the Mx, get the 54vdc and it will have another voltage output option 12v or 5v IIRC.

Btw, I had mentioned the 4 axis version of the Leadshine earlier in this thread. Here is a link.http://www.leadshine.com/UploadFile/...4660d_V1.1.pdf
    A lazy man does it twice.

Quote Originally Posted by davidlee64 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I will have to check the videos and diagrams of the various items, so I make sure I get needed cables, etc. I see Wiggles84 is using a toroidal power supply. Would that be better than using a regular PS such as a KL-600-48? Do I need another PS for 5V?
    Thanks and sorry to hijack the original post.
    nah,dont be. your trying to figure out what cnc kit by also. which ive already ordered everything i need with the help from all the good fellas on here. so feel free, if you want to,keep the thread alive!
    im learning from your questions......now i know ill be back,but in the form of another thread titled "no how the h*ll do you get this thing to work" good luck with your build.

abond, dont worry after I got my first machine all connected and passing all of the electronics tests. I had no idea what MDI was, or GCode, or hotkey assignments or ??? well you get it. There are a lot of things to learn. It took a few weeks to get movement til I learned how to ask the right questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    abond, dont worry after I got my first machine all connected and passing all of the electronics tests. I had no idea what MDI was, or GCode, or hotkey assignments or ??? well you get it. There are a lot of things to learn. It took a few weeks to get movement til I learned how to ask the right questions.
    Thats what im worried about, testing the electronics and getting the motors set up right,the computer running right etc.i have found some good info that will get me started. I program cnc's at my day job,so thats not an issue. but building one and learning the things inside that make it work,thats another thing.i know nothing about electronics and some about computers. so i know i will have more questions,when i go to setting it up....... im exspecting the delivery any day now.... thanks

New question- what are you guys using for an electronics enclosure? Size? I want to use something I can mount to the side of the mill base. That makes only one wire to connect to the computer, instead of motor wires and all that.
    Thanks
    OP- Keep asking questions. I hope mine may help you, and vice versa !

David, some use electrical enclosures like from HD 12x12x8. Computer cases work well too. Just remember leave yourself some expansion room. You will inevitably add a few more power supplies and relays.

Abond, if you are around CNCs all day, you have most of it whipped. The electronics will be pretty straight forward and plenty here will offer guidance. Take and post plenty of pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    Take notice that the motor covers will NOT fit the 570 oz/in steppers, they are slightly bigger than the typical nema 23 frame. Hoss
    Thanks, Hoss. It seems the 570 oz/in motors are actually NEMA24 size. I am searching to find some.

David, some use electrical enclosures like from HD 12x12x8. Computer cases work well too. Just remember leave yourself some expansion room. You will inevitably add a few more power supplies and relays.

Abond, if you are around CNCs all day, you have most of it whipped. The electronics will be pretty straight forward and plenty here will offer guidance. Take and post plenty of pictures.
    Thanks, Fastest1. If I had the electronics in my posession, it would be a bit easier to do a layout, and determine a size, so I reckon I will have to wait a few more days.
    OP- I hope the individual parts have a wiring diagram included, but I suspect with each terminal being marked, and a bit of common sense, it shouldnt be too awful difficult. Just a suggestion, per my research travels, keep power wires seperated from motor control wires. The power wires generate an EMF, which could induce spurious (and unwanted) currents into control circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by davidlee64 View Post
    Thanks, Hoss. It seems the 570 oz/in motors are actually NEMA24 size. I am searching to find some.
    Yes if you have access to a 3D printer you can make your own.
    Hoss 570 Stepper Covers
    Hoss

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	570 stepper end cover righthand 3.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	271154
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

I have covers on my 570's, who was the member from Israel who built them? I have the aluminum ones for the 570's and plastic for all of the others. Same maker though.

I used Hoss' model, but made it out of aluminum. Had to make it in two pieces though.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggles84 View Post
    I used Hoss' model, but made it out of aluminum. Had to make it in two pieces though.

Andrew
    Looks good. I did find someone making them on a limited basis. I have a link somewhere that I will find. Web site showed OOS at the moment, but I suspect they will make some up if a few people want them. They are a bit pricey, I think about $30 each. Or.... once I get set up, I may try these as a project. :cheers:

30 bucks isnt pricey for a machined aluminum cover. Not even an hours wage of a machinist . Materials?

Here is who I was talking about D.Y. Engineering - Welcome!

30 bucks isnt pricey for a machined aluminum cover. Not even an hours wage of a machinist . Materials?

That is who I was thinking of. I just sent an inquiry as to when they will be available.

What supplier is this you speak of?

Manufacturer is most likely Carlon, electrical enclosures at Home Depot.

I got a reply and it appears he is no longer producing these.
    Also from Fastest1 "Manufacturer is most likely Carlon, electrical enclosures at Home Depot."
    HD is who I thought you might mean. I will have to look into this as well.
    Thanks to all for all the assistance I am receiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggles84 View Post

Andrew
    Since it appears that DY Engineering is no longer making these, perhaps you would be willing to make a couple more of these, or perhaps you could assist me with the G code so I can make my own, once I get my machine up and running, anyway.

UPDATE got my electronics delivered yesterday!!!! Up and running!! I calibrated the motors the best i could with watching how far tape spins on the shafts,i guess thats close enough till i get them on
    the machine. thanks

Page 3 of 3 123