587,828 active members*
2,819 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Invitation To Start An Open Source Path Pilot Group

Hybrid View

Re: Invitation To Start An Open Source Path Pilot Group

Quote Originally Posted by Hirudin View Post
    Open source software was a poor choice if they're trying to keep it out of other people's hands. Get a clue.
    Ok, call Tormach yourself and request a copy then let us know how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by treyjugson View Post
    For what it's worth, I don't own a Tormach but tried ordering just the PP upgrade software from the site for curiosities sake.
    The order went thru, $10 total shipped however I just got an email saying they have no record of me purchasing a machine.
    If I can't get back to them and provide my machine serial number they will not be able to sell this item to me and will have to issue a refund.
    c'est la vie
    This has peaked my curiosity in LinuxCNC again though and this thread in particular, I have a Vistacnc pendant that I can't use with Mach 4 either.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Quote Originally Posted by treyjugson View Post
    Na

Your insolence is annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Hirudin View Post
    Na

Your insolence is annoying.
    I didn't think you'd have a constructive response, keep your insults to yourself in future.

I am downloading LinuxCNC 2.7 as well and will install it in one of my computers.

I am also internally debating whether to get one of the TMCs with Path Pilot. Do I need it? Not really, but it seems like a good time to start learning about it, tinkering with how it works and what it has to offer, while at the same time I can compare it with LCNC2.7. It is possible that LCNC2.7 has all the stuff that we need, in which case, right there, that is our Open Source / user customizable platform.

During the webinar, however, Tormach mentioned they optimized the kernel for motion control. In other words, you can do whatever you want and motion control will always take precedence over everything else. This is definitely one of the most awesome features PP has to offer. In fact, this IS the feature that I am most interested in! I wonder if LCNC2.7 carries that aspect within its core. And if that is not the case, how easy will it be to modify the kernel? Something tells me this is one of those things that requires some serious Linux configuration/compilation background and it is not for the faint of heart.

In the upcoming days I plan on submerging myself on the LinuxCNC documentation. I admit that I jumped gun out of excitement and without knowing too much about this platform. So it is time to enlighten myself and grab a better understanding of this exciting universe ahead of us!
    I document my CNC Experience at CNC Dude's Youtube channel. Check it out!