587,089 active members*
3,029 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > International / Regional Forums > Australia, New Zealand Club House > Where to get Aluminium,. 6061, 7075 and other machinable alloys in Aus?

Hybrid View

Re: Where to get Aluminium,. 6061, 7075 and other machinable alloys in Aus?

>decent machinable Aluminium in Australia is almost hopeless.

Pretty much what I had concluded. I was hoping there was just something I didn't know about. I sadly guess it reflects the dismal state of Australian industry.

>www.fortal.biz

Looks interesting but odds and ends seems like a bit of hit and miss, or ending up having to machine a larger block down that what is desirable.

> Capral bytched about Chinese dumping of 6060

I had in the past wondered if it would be a good business idea to import chinese Aluminum. They certainly sell much much cheaper than capral.

>I notice a few sellers on aliexpress. Perhaps I will try them. They certainly are cheap, just long shipping times is a pain.

Does that mean people here in Aus are mainly just machining 6060 and 5000 series? If so how are they doing it reliably? I find it hell, cant seem to good feed/speed combos that don't gum up bits..

Looks interesting but odds and ends seems like a bit of hit and miss, or ending up having to machine a larger block down that what is desirable.
    No, that is not how it works. Yes, you can buy a 20 kg hobby box of lumps if you have nothing specific in mind, but you don't have to go that route. I bought from the spreadsheet, naming each piece that I wanted. That let me select the exact sizes I needed. I kept adding until I was just under the 20 kg limit for the standard USPS box.

Also, I think you are ignoring the 2011 machining rod and the Edcon imported 6082 flat bar. Both are good machining metals.

mainly just machining 6060 and 5000 series? If so how are they doing it reliably? I find it hell, cant seem to good feed/speed combos that don't gum up bits..
    That seems to be it otherwise for alloys, and yes, these alloys can gum up the cutters. However, I am having some success by combining aluminium-specific cutters, and an air blast (to prevent recutting of chps) with a very light pulsed misting of 3 parts kero to 1 part olive oil. My parts come out dry.

Mind you, machining 5005 sheet Al is still dicey.

Cheers
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    No, that is not how it works. Yes, you can buy a 20 kg hobby box of lumps if you have nothing specific in mind, but you don't have to go that route. I bought from the spreadsheet, naming each piece that I wanted. That let me select the exact sizes I needed. I kept adding until I was just under the 20 kg limit for the standard USPS box.

Also, I think you are ignoring the 2011 machining rod and the Edcon imported 6082 flat bar. Both are good machining metals.

That seems to be it otherwise for alloys, and yes, these alloys can gum up the cutters. However, I am having some success by combining aluminium-specific cutters, and an air blast (to prevent recutting of chps) with a very light pulsed misting of 3 parts kero to 1 part olive oil. My parts come out dry.

Mind you, machining 5005 sheet Al is still dicey.

Cheers
    Roger
    Roger,

With getting 20KG boxes from www.fortal.biz, were did you get the spreadsheet you bought from? is it something you set up? or did you get it from them?

Rick