Quote Originally Posted by CNC-Dude View Post
Thanks for your input, Steve. Fascinating success story!

I have been using the machine for 4 years now and I feel quite acquainted with the system, including the CAD and CAM side of it. First year after buying it, I would get up at 2:00 AM and spend 4 solid hours studying all of this. It was a good time since everybody was sleeping and there were no interruptions.

Since then I have been able to use the machine to pretty much build whatever I can envision. I still have some serious issues with making artsy stuff, but that is just because I am not an artsy guy anyway. Plus I don't think Inventor is the best tool for artsy stuff.

So in theory I should be able to proceed with your next step, and start knocking on doors. Seems like an option, no doubt about that!

I have also been exploring the kickstarter method. I did a KS 3 years ago and it wasn't successful at all. It seems that KS campaigns benefit greatly by how many people you can reach on Facebook and social networks alike. It is definitely doable, though, although rest assured it won't enjoy from "Exploding Kittens" mania...

I also thought about eBay but like Popspipes mentions, the other side of the pond usually has a ridiculously cheap version waiting to crush any opponent.

It seems to me that an angle with lots of potential is going after items for people with ridiculous amounts of money. For example, this is why you see some folks selling a $600 knife and you wonder why would anybody cash out such amount when you can walk into Home Depot and buy something with practically the same functionality for $10 (or less!). Well, because that individual who has too many right handed zeroes on his/her bank account prefers something hand made than mass produced (i.e. $10 looks identical to $600!!!).

The search continues! I truly hope I don't turn 79 and 51 weeks old before I find it... heh heh heh

PS How about a $700 pizza cutter? Gas powered! heh heh heh
You're right about someone on the other side of the big water waiting to knock you off. I make a line of running gear for remote control, gasoline powered model boats. My stuff is more expensive than some of the other stuff you can buy out there, but I pride myself in making QUALITY stuff. I put a warranty on my stuff that says if it fails due to material or manufacturing defect, I will repair it, replace it or refund your money. YOUR CHOICE.

The thing to do if you're concerned with someone across the big water knocking you off, is to make something that won't sell in big enough quantities for someone over there to want to mess with it.

I had a real shop for close to 20 years. In October 2007, I had a heart attack in the shop that resulted in 5 cardiac bypasses and a new aortic valve in my heart. After I got out of the hospital, my wife gave me a choice. I could have my shop, or I could have here and I had till January 1, 2008 to make up my mind. I sold the shop on January 8, 2008. I think I made the right choice.

I made an attempt at retirement, but that just wasn't for me. I had a few part time jobs, but with the economy the way it was, when work slowed down, the part time guy was the first one out the door. After about 3 years, I bought my machine more to have something to do that as a way to make money,

I call myself Mid Day Machining now because I seldom start before 11:00 AM and I try to be finished by 5:00 PM. A lot of times quitting time depends on whether or not my wife is going to be home and what she is doing. I HAVE been known to be out in the shop/garage till 10:00 or 11:00 PM.

I have some pictures of some stuff I have made on another computer, but right now that computer won't communicate with the monitor. I'm going to get that fixed today. Then I'll post some pictures of some of the stuff I have made on my Tormach.