587,784 active members*
2,430 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > What is it that you do to make $$$ with your Tormach?

Hybrid View

Re: What is it that you do to make $$$ with your Tormach?

Quote Originally Posted by CNC-Dude View Post
    Thanks for your input, Steve. Fascinating success story!

I have been using the machine for 4 years now and I feel quite acquainted with the system, including the CAD and CAM side of it. First year after buying it, I would get up at 2:00 AM and spend 4 solid hours studying all of this. It was a good time since everybody was sleeping and there were no interruptions.

Since then I have been able to use the machine to pretty much build whatever I can envision. I still have some serious issues with making artsy stuff, but that is just because I am not an artsy guy anyway. Plus I don't think Inventor is the best tool for artsy stuff.

So in theory I should be able to proceed with your next step, and start knocking on doors. Seems like an option, no doubt about that!

I have also been exploring the kickstarter method. I did a KS 3 years ago and it wasn't successful at all. It seems that KS campaigns benefit greatly by how many people you can reach on Facebook and social networks alike. It is definitely doable, though, although rest assured it won't enjoy from "Exploding Kittens" mania...

I also thought about eBay but like Popspipes mentions, the other side of the pond usually has a ridiculously cheap version waiting to crush any opponent.

It seems to me that an angle with lots of potential is going after items for people with ridiculous amounts of money. For example, this is why you see some folks selling a $600 knife and you wonder why would anybody cash out such amount when you can walk into Home Depot and buy something with practically the same functionality for $10 (or less!). Well, because that individual who has too many right handed zeroes on his/her bank account prefers something hand made than mass produced (i.e. $10 looks identical to $600!!!).

The search continues! I truly hope I don't turn 79 and 51 weeks old before I find it... heh heh heh

PS How about a $700 pizza cutter? Gas powered! heh heh heh

There is a big world of things to make and build and make money doing.Sounds like you have a decent shop with a decent verity of tools and skills.
    Inventing something would be biggest return but could be a very long term investment. While your working on that as rad mentions if you look around there are a number of business to offer your skills to like gun shops, bike shops, motorcycle shops, even fishing tackle shops to name a FEW. All of these have what are called Enthusiasts. These are the people that will pay more for a custom product. They are not people with to much money just people like you and me. If you want industrial work I would market to small factories. This is something I think Tormach does or should. An example is a small food factory. In the this small city I bet there are a dozen that all require repairs of special equipment "not things you buy at walmart" They need bracket this, clamp that flip over and convey away. These business and associated equipment would benefit from a local cnc-dude or having their own in house to make stuff fast and accurate. Many have there own repair shop but the tooling lacks a complete effort many times and this is where a small shop comes in.
    Hope this inspires you to not dwell on people that will pay 600.00 for a 10.00 item . In my life I have only met a few people like that. And market your refined skills and tools to make the best possible products for your clients or yourself.
    md

CNC'rs, I have had a blast with this conversation! Not that I am set on what I will produce, but that calendar idea seems like a no brainer. Even if I never get to making the copies ;-)

I also want to thank you guys for providing your success stories. Fascinating stuff indeed!

One topic which has appeared more than once, and appears to be the root of many monetizable endeavors, is hobbies. Brian likes biking, and he came with a product for other bikers. Steve likes RC cars and Ray likes Jaguars (or something to that line). In the same fashion, if I were into shooting, I could know of a trillion parts which could be improved for guns to sell to other gun enthusiasts. Fishing, flying, homebrewing (and the list goes on), and there is certainly an item somebody needs which nobody has made and we know how to make on our machines.

So I kept thinking and thinking "why is it that I cannot find this hobby related part??? CRAPITY CRAPS!!!!"

Well, I think I am living what we call in philosophy, a circular reasoning! "I want to do something with my CNC hobby, so that I can enjoy from my CNC hobby. As a result I should develop something for my CNC hobby!"

BAM! WHAT THE HECK???

Of course you could imagine there is a trillion things I could develop for the CNC world, so maybe that is what I should try to focus on.

Or perhaps, what I need to do is get me an ACTUAL HOBBY!!!

What do you know? Isn't life funny?
    I document my CNC Experience at CNC Dude's Youtube channel. Check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by CNC-Dude View Post
    Of course you could imagine there is a trillion things I could develop for the CNC world, so maybe that is what I should try to focus on.
    That is what I did. My current business is manufacturing power drawbars and auto-toolchangers for CNC machines. There are TONs of thing that could be done. Even simple ones. Look at the ProTram and other products they make. All simple, but work really well.

Regards,
    Ray L.