587,487 active members*
3,301 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Colchester Tornado lathes > My "new" tornado 100 have some issues...

My "new" tornado 100 have some issues...

Hi All,

I just had delivery of a Colchester Tornado 100 lathe that i bought on auction last year.
    Wired her in this afternoon and i am releived to report that she lights up. I was able to jog the X and Z axis, command a spindle to start and change the spindle speeds.

Problems that i found is the following:

The Gamet pneumatic cylinder seems to be stuck. i was able to open the chuck once or twice, but after that it would not move. even if you apply air directly to the cylinder, it still does not move in either direction. The warning on the cylinder reads: "grease lubricated cylinder Do not use oil mist system" I do not see provision for grease to be topped up or a grease nipple. Is this cylinder greased "for life" or am i just missing the point? what type of grease should be used?

The spindle sound a bit noisy. I can not see a sight glass for oil anywhere on the headstock and opening the plug at the top reveals that it is bone dry. is it supposed to run in oil, and if so, what oil and how much?

The Duplomatic BSA 160/12/20/110/60 would turn continuously until you get an error that indexing took too long. you can see that someone worked on the turret before the machine was scrapped, as there is an assortment of bolts and nuts on top of the turret. it would also seem that the turret was crashed at some point, as there is ridges on the face of the turret where some holders was smashed into the turret, presumably by a spinning chuck.

The tailstock was disassembled and needs to be put back together.

I am relieved to find that the control is still alive and i am sure with some TLC (or more) I can have her turning again in no time.

Does anyone have drawings or manuals for:
    the Gamet drawbar cylinder
    the duplomatic turret
    the Tornado 100 lathe

Any help or advice would be much apreciated.
    regards
    Pieter

Re: My "new" tornado 100 have some issues...