587,744 active members*
2,660 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: V27 UPDATE

Page 1 of 4 123

V27 UPDATE

Has anybody tried downloading the V27 update (1547) that shows was released on 12/3/2014 on Bobcad Support website?.
    I have tried but it goes to V26 download when trying.

Looks like some fixes and interesting enhancements, can't wait to get it downloaded. :wee:

RAF.

Re: V27 UPDATE

LOL?
    They removed the link to the V26 updates also

If I click on V27 Update it takes me to V26 and at the bottom of the page the link takes me to the V26 download

Maybe they will get V27 link fixed soon.

Yes. I have been trying for 2 days now. Several attempts with 2 different computers. I am hoping that it fixes some issues that I am having. I called today and asked what was up....they sent me an email link for the complete software download...of which I do not need. Just the update is all I am after.

Not sure I understand the updated translate function being limited to 2. Kinda like delta, snap,& drag. Is it really better?

Wish we could update V26,
    The darn Arc Snap bug has almost took the computer for a flight across the room.

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    Wish we could update V26,
    The darn Arc Snap bug has almost took the computer for a flight across the room.
    I know it's not the answer you're looking for, but it is fixed in V27. You can now click outside the snap circle after the shift-click (when it highlights red) and it will properly use the correct endpoint on the arc.

Also, the simulation seems to be better in that it has remembered a few of my settings. I always have mine set to "Time based Mode", but it never stayed that way in V26. Now, it remembers both the mode and the playback speed, even after closing Bobcad and restarting it.

mmoe, concerning v27...what about the actual time in seconds that it takes to save a solid model file? I went from v25 to v27...and the save time is extremely long in seconds by comparison. I have been a bobcad user for 10 years now. V27 is pretty cool. Takes WAY TOO LONG to save for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by 118 View Post
    mmoe, concerning v27...what about the actual time in seconds that it takes to save a solid model file? I went from v25 to v27...and the save time is extremely long in seconds by comparison. I have been a bobcad user for 10 years now. V27 is pretty cool. Takes WAY TOO LONG to save for some reason.
    I tried a few average sized models and I can't tell any difference between V24, V26 and V27. I never had V25, so I can only compare based on the demo version. The files I saved were strat style guitar bodies (4) plus stock models for each body, which I merged into Bobcad from several files and then saved as a .BBCD file. If there was any difference, it was too little for me to measure. I also tried a more complex array of models that takes 8 seconds to save in V24, and it seemed to take 9 seconds in V27, but it's also difficult to say if I timed it accurately enough to say there was actually any difference. If there is a difference, it is small enough that it's hard to measure.

I then made an array of what was already a relatively detailed file (more of a mechanical device model) and saved it in V24, V26 and V27 (all merged from non-.bbcd files to start, then saved as .bbcd). V24 took 2 minutes 45 seconds, V26 took 1 minute 59 seconds and V27 took 2 minutes and 0 seconds. Again, I can't say that there is any difference between V26 and V27 since I can't measure precisely enough to say that they are 1 second apart, and given the overall time the file requires, 1 second is insignificant anyways (less than 1% difference if there was a difference). V26 and V27 are both significantly faster than V24, so logically V25 is probably either the same as V26/V27 or slower. I then ran the same operations through the V25 demo, and the time the demo takes to do the same job is 2 minutes 14 seconds. Since V25 is a demo, the process is slightly different and I can't say it's exactly the same as the licensed version. A window pops up and reminds you that the demo file won't be able to be used in anything but the demo, then you click OK or Save and it starts saving. I suspect it's the same from that point and that is where I started timing V25 to try to keep it equal as possilbe, but it's possible that it may be a little faster in the licensed version. I doubt that it's enough faster to make any difference in terms of being faster than V26 or V27. V24 is a 32 bit application while V25, V26 and V27 are all 64bit applications, and I suspect that's the main reason for the big difference there.

For any file of a size I would deal with on a day to day basis, I really can't tell any difference between any of them since it's more like 2 to 6 seconds depending on the file. A 6 second long save process is a pretty involved file for me, and the 2 minute long save is an artificially big file that I would only deal with once in a long while (the sample file was about 50mb). I very occasionally will have file that gets over 100mb, and up to half a gb, but they are the exceptions. Most of the files I deal with on a day to day basis are only a couple mb. From what I see though, I don't think you should be experiencing any slower save times in V27, and if the numbers I came up with hold true on average, you should find V26 or V27 both save about 10% faster than V25. I could escalate the file size to 200mb if you really want to know how long that takes to save, but I doubt the proportions of time will change on my computer since I believe it's all just math.

If you can, try running a similar test where you merge a non-bbcd format into V25 and V27 and then time how long each takes to save it as a .BBCD format file. That's the only way I think you can compare apples to apples. If you open a V25 file in V27, it may take longer to save since it has to reformat the file to V27 standards, while V25 is saving it in it's native format. Obviously, you can't do it the other way around since V25 can't open a V27 file. Hope that helps.

10-4. The files that I am using are not native .bbcd. They are imported from UNIGRAFIX as a parasolid file and then saved a a .bbcd file. Some of them are then merged togather. File sizes are around 11mg. That may be why I am seeing a long save time. I was using V25 with the same files so I am comparing apples to apples. However...when using these files I notice some problems at times....which forces me to think outside the box to get the job done. My machine is a good 64 bit AMD Phenom II x4 chip at 8GB. Big in its day....but not so much in today's world. Save times went from 10 seconds to 60. I save several times a day as these are complex 3D Mold models that can get big and a computer crash sucks. Also...were you able to download the latest V27 update yet? I have not had any success.

Quote Originally Posted by mmoe View Post
    I know it's not the answer you're looking for, but it is fixed in V27. You can now click outside the snap circle after the shift-click (when it highlights red) and it will properly use the correct endpoint on the arc.

Also, the simulation seems to be better in that it has remembered a few of my settings. I always have mine set to "Time based Mode", but it never stayed that way in V26. Now, it remembers both the mode and the playback speed, even after closing Bobcad and restarting it.

Just had to rant.
    Rant Off

Went ahead and installed the link they sent me (full install) which is 823 MB (64 bit) so goodbye CD's for save and hello DVD's (I'm saving every update to some type of media since new update policy)
    Bobcad has been doing some good work on fixes from what I have experience so far and the Getting started Videos that are now included are probably some of the best that I have seen from Bobcad (IMO) may be a little advanced for beginning but very good.
    The new enhancements seem like they are going to be very helpful for speed after getting use to them. (wasn't thinking so at first, but liking them more and more with use)

All in All IMO GOOD JOB BOBCAD With V27 so far. (not saying I may not have some Rants as well down the road)

RAF.

I am in my office now.....Just installed the new update #1547 to V27. Ready to work with it this morning. Open file...TRANSLATE.....CRASH. Every time....no matter what i do. Nice. Try to translate (move) a solid around. If I ask the software to TRANSLATE a solid to a new position via the Sketch/Enter button highlighted....CRASH. Try it.....

I just use Drag and enter cords if wanted or use the handles and seems to be working OK so far for me .
    I find that in Sketch/Enter (Start) does have to be used. But with drag it works more like I was use to before update, cords in end seem to work.

Will do some trials on different files

RAF.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails V27 Translate.JPG  

Yes I also can do that here. My models come imported floating in space and are all over the place. I then position them at the correct 0,0,0 per the side I am working on. The translate sketch command is awesome at quickly positioning them in the correct place and orientation. I will try some other files to see if maybe it is a corrupt file or something........

Nope. Mine does not work. I can move 2d objects around....but nothing 3d in V27 build #1547. I tried some other 3d solid models in V27....Crash. I get that light white ghost screen of death. V25 works wonderful at this command. V27 does not here. RAF...please try your translate method. Lets see if yours works. Import a solid...drag it off of 0,0,0 and then translate/sketch it to a new position. (as to work on the back surface or somthing to that effect). Do not draw a solid and translate it...as that seems to work It is an open existing file problem.

I have brought in some other type files from other program , such as iges , step of a lofted drawing and seems to work OK here.

If you want or can zip a file that is crashing and I will try it.

Maybe bad Install? I had to run the install twice on this computer didn't take first time, shop computer still running XP took first take (is new better?) Yes, as much as I hate to say---- after the bugs are out.

Thanks so much for trying that. You are very kind. I will try another install. If it is still a problem I will .zip a file. Thanks

Try saving the file as a .bbcd file first, then close the file and open it again. If you are still working off of parasolid files, it may have something to do with that. If you can, try exporting as STEP, 3DM, IGES, or even DWG instead of parasolid.

RAF...I tried another install. Still no good for that command in V27 build #1547. I will attach a .zip file (if I can figure out how) Okay....I cant figure out how.....

Page 1 of 4 123