587,491 active members*
3,851 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: CRP 4x4

Page 5 of 5 345
    vtx, how are your pro r&p units holding up? I want to get rid of the bronze bushing slop.
    do the needle bearing units have a lot less tilting play in them? my bronze ones had 1/8" play measured at the pinion when new. I'm hoping for zero play with new ones.

Do the tension spring upgrades fix the problem of access to the spring bolt on the gantry?
    It looks like it would be harder to access with the larger parts/longer bolt.

any chance snapping a few pics on the installed parts?

Quote Originally Posted by alan_3301 View Post
    vtx, how are your pro r&p units holding up? I want to get rid of the bronze bushing slop.
    do the needle bearing units have a lot less tilting play in them? my bronze ones had 1/8" play measured at the pinion when new. I'm hoping for zero play with new ones.

Do the tension spring upgrades fix the problem of access to the spring bolt on the gantry?
    It looks like it would be harder to access with the larger parts/longer bolt.

any chance snapping a few pics on the installed parts?
    They still have some play, while its better then the bronze bushings the slop is not eliminated. I plan someday to upgrade my CRS to profile linear ways at that time i plan to make some new R&P plates with a thrust bearing between the carriage and the pate to eliminate slop. I only installed the full kits on my Y & A axis. I wasn't able to install the bolt tensioner on my X axis because it interferes with my Super PID box and I didn't feel like making a new bracket. Setting tension with the new bolt setup should be a breeze. All the heads of the tension bolts will either face up or twards you so it should be easy to tension the gantry pinion provided you don't have something mounted there like I do.

I'll try and snap some pictures for you tonight.

Started on a new long term project. I'm building an airplane from plans. I hope to use the router as much as possible. I cut out some ribs, but holding it down with screws didn't work too well so I'm starting to build a vac table. I plan to try using 2 shop vac's to start off with. If that doesn't work I'll buy one of the pumps like the shop bot guys use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc 015.jpg   cnc 017.jpg   cnc 018.jpg   cnc 019.jpg  

cnc 021.jpg  

I've figured out a few things cutting this sheet aluminum (2024 t3 alclad) Don't use a down cut bit! I choose a downcut bit first thinking that it would keep the sheet from lifting but it actually did the opposite. The chips would gather under the aluminum sheet in the vacuum table grooves and lift it up. it also caused more gumming of the sheet. Using a spiral O flute 1/8 up cut works great for me. This sheet is .025 and I cut it in one pass at 18ipm @18000 rpm The cuts come out very nice. Here's some pictures of the progress.

FYI the dual shop vac table works ok but not the best. start cutting at the top of the sheet and work my way down covering the cuts with cardboard to minimize vac loss.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ribs 005.jpg   ribs 009.jpg  

What did you make your vacuum table out of and did you completely seal the entire unit? What are you using for your shop vac's? Where do you find material that thin (.025)?

Quote Originally Posted by cncrr View Post
    What did you make your vacuum table out of and did you completely seal the entire unit? What are you using for your shop vac's? Where do you find material that thin (.025)?
    The vac table is made from 1/2 mdf and glued together with wood weld, I also coated the inside bottom and sides with the wood weld to seal it. Shop vacs are homedepot ones I'd have to look at the specs.

The aluminum is available at any aircraft supply place and some metal suppliers. But it's not cheap!

Another box. Curly maple and black walnut.

Then some more aircraft parts cut from 2024 T3 man this stuff is gummy (1/8 thick) I had to install a air line and also use wd40 to get a good cut. None the less this thing cuts aluminum pretty well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails box 006.jpg   spar plates 008.jpg  

I like those maple/walnut boxes -- very nice! Did you glue up the walnut corners from thin flat stock, or did you CNC them?

Quote Originally Posted by vbgraves View Post
    I like those maple/walnut boxes -- very nice! Did you glue up the walnut corners from thin flat stock, or did you CNC them?
    Neither. I did them by hand on my router table. Was much quicker then doing it with the cnc.

Re: CRP 4x4

wish i had that piece 8016, can you email it to me because that's the only way to get this stuff (lol).
    High all btw.
    This is my first post on this forum, came here when i was searching for this profile, i live in the Netherlands en overhere there is no possibility to order this kind of profile's (outside one store that charge 569 euro for 1,5 meter).
    My plan was to build me a cnc machine from the pro parts from cnc routerparts, but if its that hard to get one piece of the machine to this country i think if its possible to build me a cnc with there parts.
    Btw its only this piece (8016) that is hard to order, is there anyone that knows a sup. in europe?..

Re: CRP 4x4

looks like I've been slacking on posting stuff for a while.

1. First up a Last supper I did for my Mom a while back.
    2. More Pine wood cars from last year race
    3. a couple of lithoplanes I did for some people
    4 by using the v-carve gadget I was able to do a sample run using their dovetail gadget.

Page 5 of 5 345