587,366 active members*
3,657 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Servo for spindle motor??

Hey guys, I need some input. I have wanted to build a minature 5 axis for a long time and would like to begin sourcing parts. I would like to have a spindle controlled via the controller, probably Mach4 with the G-Rex. I have no idea what kind of motor touse for the spindle but following are some of the wishes.

1. Controllable for speed
    2. At least 6000 rpm for max but more would not be turned down
    3. Small as in very small! Torque isn't an issue as only small parts will be cut.

What do I look for?

Would either of these work?

1) 10,000 RPM Miniature 36mm ULTRASPINDLE NEW Brushless Motor
    Diameter = 24.6mm, Height = 36mm,
    Rugged, shock resistant,
    Three Phase, 0.6 ohms/phase motor. High torque from rare earth magnets,
    Highest quality ball bearings, Designed for 300,000 hour MTBF.
    APPLICATIONS: Diamond Turning, Optical scanners, Gyroscopes, Stabilizers $49/ea
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2) 10,000 RPM Miniature 20mm ULTRASPINDLE NEW Brushless Motor
    Diameter = 24.6mm, Height = 20mm,
    Rugged, shock resistant,
    Three Phase, 0.6 ohms/phase motor. High torque from rare earth magnets,
    Highest quality ball bearings, Designed for 300,000 hour MTBF.
    APPLICATIONS: Diamond Turning, Optical scanners, Gyroscopes, Stabilizers $39/ea

If so, what would I need to drive the motor and control it?

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Well, for good power to size and being able to control the speed, brushless is great.

If all you want to do is control the speed (a plain spindle), a full brushless servo drive may be a bit overkill. An R/C airplane shop could probably set you up with a speed control that just makes it spin, or see what the guys selling these motors recommend.

If you want to do live C axis work like rigid tapping, then you do need to get a brushless servo drive and encoder.

You'll want to make sure you have can get enough hp out of those motors for the work you want to do. Torque is basically constant as speed drops, so see if you can get specs or compare it to something you know would work. Also be sure they're ok with being under load continuously.

Thanks dkowalcz,

Not a lot of torque needed. This machine is planned as a demonstration tool for local schools to try to create some interest in getting some classes started for technology. Here, all they have is vo-ag and most of the kids don't see how any of it can be applied in real life. I'm hoping to change that by doing a demonstration of making a model in 3d, (cad) making a tool path, (cam) and actually machine the part while the class is watching. It will only be used to cut very small parts from soft metal, wax, or wood.

I will also use the machine at local craft shows, etc.

Mike

Bump????

Al ????????

Anyone????????

There is not enough information on the motors, I found them by Google.
    If it is just a cheap demo machine using simple machining/routing, why not use a dremel for a spindle, even if you switch the speeds manually.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks for the reply AL,

It's not really planned as a cheap machine. Plans are for a 5 or 6 axis machine in a very small footprint, say something in the 12"X18" range with a horizontal 4th axis along with an articulated 5/6 head. I want to use this machine to take to local schools to try to generate interest in the tech fields. There are very few tech classes here were I live and I want to change that.

Go to a class, model a ring in Rhino, cam it in Madcam, machine it with Mach4 and G-Rex, do a little hand buffing on it and have a give away for someone to own the ring when I leave. I plan on cutting only wax, soft metals and foam. High speed needed but not necessarily so on the torque.

Can you give any help on the needed drives etc to get these motors to run?

The dremel would make the z axis much longer than it would have to be should I be able to use one of these.

Mike

Hacker and Lehner are couple of names of manufactures of brushless motors used in radio controlled models.
    If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.

Pretty much impossible to suggest a drive without info on the motor.
    They don't appear to be very high in torque.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I have yet to see a torque rating on one of these brushless motors. I have seen them swing a 20" prop at several thousand rpm though.

Hi turmite

Check out

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Wolfgang-E...Q3amesstQQtZkm

this guy makes and sells high rpm spindles and may have what you are after or a suggestions on what you could use.

Cheers
    derekj308

Thanks guys,

Al_The_Man, I'll try to call the company today to see if they have any more info.

2muchstuff, When you speak of these motors....are you specifically referring to these motors I have listed?

derekj308, Thanks for the link. I have seen those before but I'm afraid they will still make me have a longer z axis setup than I wanted. The reason I am interested in the two motors I have listed, is the length.

Mike

turmite,

I was refering to the Hacker and Lehner motors.

I too am looking for a small, lightweight spindle and have been considering brushless motors with a collet attached to the motor shaft. My other alternative is an air driven spindle but I really don't want to have to fire up the compressor.

I called and emailed both today, no response. I think I'll tell them there might be several sold if they would get the info out. I'll post info as soon as I have it.

Mike

I'm also wanting a small quiet spindle. I'm heavy into the electric R/C plane world and am wondering if I really need to gear the motor down? I'm only cutting balsa wood and wonder if I can just run right off the shaft of the motor, direct drive. I'm looking at using a Speed 600 or 700 brushed motor rated at up to 24,000 rpm.

Thoughts?

Q