587,809 active members*
3,078 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Anyone making aluminum molds with their Tormach?

Hybrid View

Re: Anyone making aluminum molds with their Tormach?

Unfortunately I can't use the molds that were made for the Medium Machinery Injection molder on the Boy 50 because the M.M. Injection Molder is mostly operated manually and it can't accept "tall" molds. I believe the mold needed to be no taller than 6 inches or so or it wouldn't fit. The Boy 50 can't even clamp such small molds. The minimum distance between the clamping plates is like 10 inches. I read a few books, the one I felt was the most useful was "Spritzgiessen für Praktiker" (german book. I'm Swiss so I can read german). It's not really about the making of the molds but about the injection molding process itself. I also read "How to Make Injection Molds" but it is very, very technical and felt it was only of limited use to me.
    I bought the Boy 50 used and I got a pretty good price, but there's a lot more to it than just the price of the injection molder itself. You need other accessories (like a water cooler etc.) that add to the price. Also, transportation for such a big machine isn't cheap, and then you also need a pretty beefy electrical outlet (cost me $1400 to get one installed). On top of all that, it takes over 200 liters of hydraulic oil which isn't cheap either. I hope it all pays off but it is a little early to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    Thanks for the insight. I looked at the Boy 50T and that is quite a machine. I had no idea that one would need such a large setup to do a 3 oz shot of ABS. Must of cost more than your Tormach.
    I hope you were able to use the molds you made on the Tormach. Did you use 7075 aluminum or 6061? Did you find any good references/books on making your mold or just hopping around on the internet?
    I love Kickstarter. I helps build innovative companies like yours.
    Best,
    Nathan

Re: Anyone making aluminum molds with their Tormach?

Thanks Cordvision,
    This was really helpful info.
    I am sure you will be doing more successful kickstarters and the Boy will be the first of many machine.
    Now I need to learn German so I can read that book )

Quote Originally Posted by cordvision View Post
    Unfortunately I can't use the molds that were made for the Medium Machinery Injection molder on the Boy 50 because the M.M. Injection Molder is mostly operated manually and it can't accept "tall" molds. I believe the mold needed to be no taller than 6 inches or so or it wouldn't fit. The Boy 50 can't even clamp such small molds. The minimum distance between the clamping plates is like 10 inches. I read a few books, the one I felt was the most useful was "Spritzgiessen für Praktiker" (german book. I'm Swiss so I can read german). It's not really about the making of the molds but about the injection molding process itself. I also read "How to Make Injection Molds" but it is very, very technical and felt it was only of limited use to me.
    I bought the Boy 50 used and I got a pretty good price, but there's a lot more to it than just the price of the injection molder itself. You need other accessories (like a water cooler etc.) that add to the price. Also, transportation for such a big machine isn't cheap, and then you also need a pretty beefy electrical outlet (cost me $1400 to get one installed). On top of all that, it takes over 200 liters of hydraulic oil which isn't cheap either. I hope it all pays off but it is a little early to tell.