587,747 active members*
3,248 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Anyone making aluminum molds with their Tormach?

Hybrid View

Re: Anyone making aluminum molds with their Tormach?

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    Thank you for all of the feedback.
    So basically, one can do everything on an 1100 that they can on a 770 but since the 770 has a faster spindle, it can work aluminum much faster hence saving time, right?
    It sounds like I will need to pick my endmills carefully and set myself for minimal final finish endmill cleanup passes. I will most likely need to explore the use of ball endmills for my finish passes since the shapes I am working on will be more organic.
    I can't afford an expensive ultrasonic sander yet but will look into less expensive alternatives like scotch brite and soft blasting techniques.
    I may look into a vibration tumbler to get the mold parts closer. If anyone has a recommendation or link to more info on them, I am all ears.
    Thanks again.
    Thanks for the link Brad.
    Best,
    Nathan
    Vibratory finishing with 1/4" green plastic pyramids would work well, if you can tolerate having the sharp edges removed. It will remove all the machining marks, and gently break all the edges, in about an hour, leaving the parts looking like they'd been bead-blasted. The Harbor-Freight 18 pound machine works well, and is cheap enough that even if you didn't like the result, you wouldn't be out much.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    Vibratory finishing with 1/4" green plastic pyramids would work well, if you can tolerate having the sharp edges removed. It will remove all the machining marks, and gently break all the edges, in about an hour, leaving the parts looking like they'd been bead-blasted.
    Ray - do you have a company name or link for those green plastic pyramids or do you use the same brand that FuriousGeorge linked to?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Ray - do you have a company name or link for those green plastic pyramids or do you use the same brand that FuriousGeorge linked to?

Mike
    Harbor freight has them: 5 lb. Rust-Cutting Resin Abrasive Tumbler Media

I believe you can find them on MSC/McMaster as well.

Quote Originally Posted by FuriousGeorge View Post
    Harbor freight has them: 5 lb. Rust-Cutting Resin Abrasive Tumbler Media

I believe you can find them on MSC/McMaster as well.
    Thanks George (and Ray). HF is close so I'll probably try theirs first. Interesting tips downthread on the water flush, too.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post

Mike
    Mike,

I don't recall who I bought mine from, but they are available from literally anyone selling abrasives. Google is your friend: "vibratory finishing media". You'll rarely see a brand name, but green plastic pyramids are basically the same no matter who you buy them from. They're plastic infused with silicon carbide. You will find WIDE variation in pricing depending on where you buy them.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Ray, Thanks for your advice yesterday. It had me go to my local HF and buy an 18# vibrator and several bottles of their green pyramid plastic/resin grit.
    I will try LakeSnakes detailed advise if I get the goo on my parts.

I wonder if the double stack Greenfield drums will work. Both machines look identical and it would be nice to get double duty for small part finishing.

Does anyone know, in my owners manual it alluded to the fact that one can do 'powdered' finishing of parts. Is that a process like a rock polisher where one can put a finish coat on aluminum for example?

Thanks
    Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    Mike,

I don't recall who I bought mine from, but they are available from literally anyone selling abrasives. Google is your friend: "vibratory finishing media". You'll rarely see a brand name, but green plastic pyramids are basically the same no matter who you buy them from. They're plastic infused with silicon carbide. You will find WIDE variation in pricing depending on where you buy them.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    Ray, Thanks for your advice yesterday. It had me go to my local HF and buy an 18# vibrator and several bottles of their green pyramid plastic/resin grit.
    I will try LakeSnakes detailed advise if I get the goo on my parts.

I wonder if the double stack Greenfield drums will work. Both machines look identical and it would be nice to get double duty for small part finishing.

Does anyone know, in my owners manual it alluded to the fact that one can do 'powdered' finishing of parts. Is that a process like a rock polisher where one can put a finish coat on aluminum for example?

Thanks
    Nathan
    Yes, you can use powdered abrasive as well. That is typically used dry with non-abrasive ceramic media, or walnut shells. I spent a LOT of time years ago trying to find a process to take machined aluminum parts, and then de-burr and polish them. I finally gave up and did them by hand. It can be done, but it's not easy, and the polishing step can take several days.

Regards,
    Ray L.