587,467 active members*
4,622 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > Ballnut - Odd number of balls? WTF?

Ballnut - Odd number of balls? WTF?

Alright, I'm an idiot. I took my ball nut off of my ball screw and I should not have done that. Now that it's done, I have no choice but to put it back together. It's a linearmotion2008 1605 ballnut with 3 tracks but the stupid thing has 50 ball bearings!? How does that work. 16.66 balls per track? 3x16 and 2 balls in between the tracks? (that doesn't make any sense).

I managed to get the thing all back together and it sounded like it was full of sand. Not even close to as smooth and quiet as the one I didn't take apart. What do I do?

Thanks.
    Mike

Re: Ballnut - Odd number of balls? WTF?

If the balls were dirty take it back apart and clean everything thoroughly. Then put it back together and pack it with grease.

Ben

ok, well it's all back together with 17-16-17 and I figured the noise was due to no grease. What would be an appropriate grease to use?

You did measure the ball diameter didn't you? Some times they build the ball screws with alternating very slightly smaller diameter (few tenths) balls to take off some of the drag. It acts like a ball cage does in a ball bearing. Don't think being short a ball is a big issue, just wouldn't over stuff one however.

The worst sound is the balls falling out of my BP CNC conversion when I ran the screw out of the nut. No way to find all the balls had to order new ones.

I would use oil.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Wallybanger View Post
    ok, well it's all back together with 17-16-17 and I figured the noise was due to no grease. What would be an appropriate grease to use?

Yep, ran em all through the caliper. All of them between .1235" and .124". 2 of my ballnuts had 50 balls and I was very careful not to lose any when I took them apart. It appears as though Chai at Linearmotionbearings2008 is shipping ballnuts short on balls. I emailed him and he confirmed that the 1605 ballnuts are supposed to have 51 balls. He will send me more balls but wants me to pay shipping after I just placed a $250 order. I do believe I'm going to file a "not as advertised" complaint though paypal. If he doesn't want to cover a tiny amount of shipping on a couple of ball bearings he can cover the whole $250 for shipping a defective product.

Can you say 100% for certain that no balls were lost when you took it apart?

Ben

Ben is correct. I would double check to see if I didn't lose any before I file a complaint.

-Frank
    Motion Marketplace

Yes, I can say for certain that no balls were lost when I took them apart. I filed a claim through paypal and Chai was very quick to mail out some replacements. It appears as though all is well.