587,925 active members*
3,408 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: Programming for 4th axis

I've never tried it, but, logically, the CAM would need to know the maximum rotation rate of the A axis, so it does not violate that limit. When doing 4-axis moves, I would expect it to attempt to maintain the specified linear feedrate (which will be a function of the actual part diameter and cut depth), but back off on all axis feeds if that would violate the A axis limit. What happens if you specify a much higher A axis "feed"?

Regards,
    Ray L.

- - - Updated - - -

I've never tried it, but, logically, the CAM would need to know the maximum rotation rate of the A axis, so it does not violate that limit. When doing 4-axis moves, I would expect it to attempt to maintain the specified linear feedrate (which will be a function of the actual part diameter and cut depth), but back off on all axis feeds if that would violate the A axis limit. What happens if you specify a much higher A axis "feed"?

Regards,
    Ray L.

Re: Programming for 4th axis

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post

Regards,
    Ray L.

- - - Updated - - -

Regards,
    Ray L.
    I totally agree that if i want to maintain 15ipm that it is a function of the diameter of the cut depth. That is about where my research took me.

I dont understand what you mean by "What happens if you specify a much higher A axis "feed"?"
    In my solidcam software I can specify a feed and of course speed of spindle. It does not (in my limited experience) ask for an A Axis Feed (which would solve all of these issues)

To give you an example of the code generated

G1 Y-0.547 Z0.053 F10.
    G1 X5.249 F15.
    G1 Y-0.549 Z0.028 A-87.073

The Tool Plunges into the material in line 1 at 10 ipm
    The tool makes a small X movement at 15 IPM (from here on in the code feed is not changed)
    The magic starts happening with the A Axis as the tool works out of the center of the pocket. but feed is still set at 15 (which is deg per min I beleive, not IPM)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post

Regards,
    Ray L.

- - - Updated - - -

Regards,
    Ray L.
    I totally agree that if i want to maintain 15ipm that it is a function of the diameter of the cut depth. That is about where my research took me.

I dont understand what you mean by "What happens if you specify a much higher A axis "feed"?"
    In my solidcam software I can specify a feed and of course speed of spindle. It does not (in my limited experience) ask for an A Axis Feed (which would solve all of these issues)

To give you an example of the code generated

G1 Y-0.547 Z0.053 F10.
    G1 X5.249 F15.
    G1 Y-0.549 Z0.028 A-87.073

The Tool Plunges into the material in line 1 at 10 ipm
    The tool makes a small X movement at 15 IPM (from here on in the code feed is not changed)
    The magic starts happening with the A Axis as the tool works out of the center of the pocket. but feed is still set at 15 (which is deg per min I beleive, not IPM)