587,821 active members*
2,779 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Stalled my G0704 clone, now no motor power

Stalled my G0704 clone, now no motor power

So while making brackets to support my home and limit switches I forgot I'd started the machine in the config I was using to test the homing. I was manually feeding to take the corner off a bracket when I clipped the home button in linuxcnc. The machine homed. With the spindle on and home was directly south, through the bracket, through 5mm of steel plate and 1mm of my table

I managed to hit the estop on the spindle as the motor stalled and fortunately the steppers are weak enough to stall without hurting anything. After letting out a burst of expletives I wound the tool back up out of the mess (still in one piece despite a rapid into the table!) But found the spindle won't run. Not a gear issue, and bearings seem free and fine, just no motor movement. All the rest of the hardware attached to the spindle electronics is working so I'm guessing its the output side of the speed controller - anyone any experience of this failure mode? Fuse in back of controller box is fine. Came in from the garage rather annoyed!

Re: Stalled my G0704 clone, now no motor power

Mine has two fuses in the back of the speed controller-on/off box. My guess is if you have two you checked them both but just wanted to throw that out there. Sorry to hear about what happened man. That SUCKS!

Mine only seems to have one fuse on the rear and that's fine, can't seem to see any more fusible items on the internal boards so I'm guessing it's either a motor or a solid state part fault Properly cheesed off. I'll run some tests on the motor tonight and see what's going on. Thanks for the condolences - it was not a great night!

Well that was an odd evening, measured the motor resistance and got 104KOhms, assumed I'd blown either the motor or lost the brushes, Span the spindle a few times - nothing. Turned on the controller again - made a few arcing noises,jerked a bit - fires back up. Now I have to identify where the HR joint is, or if it's the actual motor windings. UGH!