587,126 active members*
2,704 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

KMotionCNC autosave vars?

Hi Tom

First, I have discovered the new Tool Offset functions of Version 33d yesterday and already implemented them. They are working great and save me a lot of time!

Second, I have a suggestion which probably is not very difficult to implement, but would make life easier for a user (like me):

I would wish that KMotionCNC had an option to autosave the vars. I did not find any way to do that in the latest version.

This way you would always start where you left the program the last time. And in the event of a program crash (yes, it does happen) you would be able to pickup at least close to where you were.

So if there was an autosave checkbox near the place where the vars-path is configured, and the checkbox was checked, it would be important that the autosave would be invoked on each change of one of the variables. Together with the configuration possibilities that the vars file has one could configure KMotionCNC to behave and save exactly the vars the he likes to be saved - or not.
    This feature would save me a lot of time from repeatedly configuring offsets and it would ease the aftermath of an application crash.

What do you think?

Best Regards

Leo

Re: KMotionCNC autosave vars?

Hi Leo,

What Vars/Offsets would you be saving. You can already save the Fixture Offsets and Tool Table.

Regards
    TK
    http://dynomotion.com

Hi Tom

The Vars File:
    Tool Setup Screen Files

It only saves if you press the save button in Tool Setup Dialog.

Leo

Hi Leo,

I'm still not sure what you mean. The Tool Table is not part of the GCode #Vars so saving the #Vars wouldn't save that. There is a Save Button in the Edit Tool Table and Edit Fixture Offsets Screens.

The #Vars can be changed numerous different ways. It might not be easy or efficient to save the file every time anything changed.

Regards
    TK
    http://dynomotion.com

Hi Tom

I just realize that I caused some confusion because I voiced my excitement about being able to access tool table offsets.

What I am proposing is to have an option to save fixture offsets automatically. I see that you are looking at it from the programmer viewpoint if you question efficiency.

Try to look at it from the lathe operator viewpoint.:
    The single most time consuming task is to set the fixture offsets. In a lathe it even involves changing the work-peace to some random stock, eyeball the diameter, write a program to match the stock, and do an actual cut. After this cut the operator can measure and must adjust the fixture offsets to match the actual diameter he is cutting. Then he reprograms and does another cut to verify.
    After this steps the operator can start working actual work that brings money.
    The operator also continues to fine tune the offsets during the day. He does it by adjusting the current offset with the zero/set button on the main screen next to the DRO.
    Can you see that the most precious thing for a lathe operator is his fixture offset? It defines if he is cutting what the DRO shows or if he is off!

Now the most frustrating/inefficient thing is that exactly this most precious value is not automatically saved and gets lost in any case of a problem or shutdown.
    I have been trying to circumvent this and gain efficiency by letting my machine powered on for days/weeks and just turn off power to the servos. But somehow USB communication does not like that and gets hung up at arbitrary intervals. With this I am still lost in case of a problem / unexpected shutdown.
    With auto-save we would be able to come back at least close to where we left before the planned/unplanned shutdown / reboot.

The idea of being able to automatically save fixture offsets is not my credit , I have seen it on other controllers and it would be very nice to have it on yours as well. Can you see that this feature would add efficiency?

Regards

Leo