587,558 active members*
3,815 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > SHOW YOUR DUST BOOT/PICK-UP SHOE...
Page 6 of 8 45678
    Here is the prototype for my dust shoe! It works very well, basically no dust left behind. Inspired be designs found here.

The most inspiration for my dustshoe came from Senna and his wonder full router thread.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy_cn...tml#post850146

Going to make another out of acrylic and be able to see at least a little of what is going on inside dustshoe.

Nice Dust Shoe

Hi nlancaster,

Nice Dust Shoe! What diameter is the brush and how long are the bristles?

John
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://[email protected]

The brush is about 3.5inches in diameter with 2inch bristles.

Dust Shoe Information

Hi nlancaster,

Yes, that is a great size and bristle length. Out of the 3 lower dust shoe plates that I have for my machine the 2" length bristles is the one I use most. The O.D. of my bristle circle is 4". Plenty of vacuum and good bristle deflection without interference with the router bit.

John
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://[email protected]

you guys with the smaller rad brush are seriously going to make me re-design my shoe...

Dust Shoe 4" O.D. Bristtle 2" Length works really well

Hi Profoxcg,

I agree with nlancaster. He said with the design he found from Senna "basically no dust left behind". With 3.5 to 4" O.D. Bristle configuration and 2" bristle length, decent plenum size so larger pieces of debris can pass through to the vacuum source, a slightly adjustable height device for minor adjustments and magnetic type removable lower brush plate for attaching different length bristle lower plates in case you are doing some 3D carving and easy removal for router bit changing is the cats meow. Shape and size of the shoe is left to the designers imagination. A lot of this depends on shape and nose configuration of your router motor and available attachment points on your router frame for your manual height bracket attachment. Then the only other determining design factors that I can think of are the O.D. Size of the vacuum hose, addition of a cyclone large particle separator, and the size of the vacuum or dust collector to catch the finer dust particles.

John

Ill give it a try

I finally had a chance to use my dust shoes. Works like a charm !!
    I did a quick test with it and without to compare the dust, and I have to say that it goes from making a mess with the no shoe, to virtually no dust.

I am also using a Rigid 6.5HP shopvac with a particulate bag. I am waiting on a cyclone, I think I should be set.

I'm just finishing my dust shoe/ vac system. I used Senna's idea of a neoprene skirt. It works outstanding. I posted more pictures in this post on my build thread

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_wo...ml#post1430490

I like the look of your machine. I am looking at your thread now.
    Very nice

Re: SHOW YOUR DUST BOOT/PICK-UP SHOE...

This is my take on a channel dust boot for my CNC

It fits the X6 1500GT but will probably work for alot of other models.
    The dust extraction is really good

Plans and more pictures can be found in this thread:
    Dust boot X6-150GT

This is what it looks like mounted on the spindle.

Aluminum with a quick release cam lever. Very quick and easy to attach and remove.

Here is mine, for a chinese CNC X6-1500GT router:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CepilloX6.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	264104

More info, cad files, etc at my site: Recogepolvo (Dust Boot) para la X6-1500GT | Parece f

Re: Nice Dust Shoe

Greetings,

Below is the dust shoe I have come up with for my CNC Router Parts PRO4848 machine with 2.2k Chinese Spindle. Only uses two tools, .5' EM and .25' EM Setup to cut out of .75' MDF. The ring is a spacer that allows for more surface area for the hose clamp.

Attached Files Attached Files

Lots of cool stuff in this thread. I built my first dust shoe in 2004 I think. It got the job done.
    Here is a design that I been working on for awhile. I am about to start another thread on it, but thought I would share a few pictures here to give some other ideas to guys looking at this thread. This one is made from 1/2" polycarbonate. The collar is 1" thick HDPE. My first prototype used brushes and this one can be outfitted with a brush instead of the vinyl skirt. Now this skirt is nothing to look at. Quick and dirty with zero measurements. I will eventually get the router to cut this material out accurately with a drag knife.
    4" dust port on this model.

Attachment 301782

Attachment 301784

Name:	Dust Shoe 1.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	301788
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Lots of cool stuff in this thread. I built my first dust shoe in 2004 I think. It got the job done.
    Here is a design that I been working on for awhile. I am about to start another thread on it, but thought I would share a few pictures here to give some other ideas to guys looking at this thread. This one is made from 1/2" polycarbonate. The collar is 1" thick HDPE. My first prototype used brushes and this one can be outfitted with a brush instead of the vinyl skirt. Now this skirt is nothing to look at. Quick and dirty with zero measurements. I will eventually get the router to cut this material out accurately with a drag knife.
    4" dust port on this model.

Attachment 301782

Attachment 301784

Name:	Dust Shoe 1.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	301788
    Clear vinyl, Never heard of it. Don't suppose you have a link? I'm using clear pvc but the stuff creases and warps skirt out of shape after a while.

It comes in large rolls typically. I bought a 6" wide roll from my plastics supplier. This stuff here is .06" thick.
    You can get different thicknesses. For a smaller volume source, you can get it from McMaster Carr. I bought a strip of .08" thickness from them initially.

McMaster-Carr

Not sure if that is the same stuff you are using. I haven't tested this out yet, but have tested the brush. Both the brush or this vinyl are replaceable in this shoe and you can use either without glue.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    It comes in large rolls typically. I bought a 6" wide roll from my plastics supplier. This stuff here is .06" thick.
    You can get different thicknesses. For a smaller volume source, you can get it from McMaster Carr. I bought a strip of .08" thickness from them initially.

McMaster-Carr

Not sure if that is the same stuff you are using. I haven't tested this out yet, but have tested the brush. Both the brush or this vinyl are replaceable in this shoe and you can use either without glue.
    Sorry dumb moment pvc : polyvinyl chloride lol same stuff, I'm using 1.5mm wonder if it's too thick and that's why it's creasing up.

Might try put a few layers of strips ontop of each other to weigh inside row down.

Next boot design is going to be one that splits and hinges for access

The key on any of these shoes and especially with this strip curtain stuff is to set the height of the shoe correctly according to bit stickout. With the design here, the collar allows for a lot more adjustment up and down. It is removable for very short stickout or you can have pretty long stickout with the collar installed. Now that is for vacuum table or when you are screwing the stock down. That is how we are currently doing it. If you use toggle clamps or some type of above the surface mounting, then the brush would be a better choice.
    Lee

Page 6 of 8 45678