587,184 active members*
3,550 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Chinese spindle vfd help

Hi Guyz, long time reader here and making the first post,

I purchased 1.5kw spindle + vfd from ebay (love-happyshopping) and it was shipped from US to my place in texas. I requested 110V system to work with my regular house electricity. The one i got has a label says '220v'. I talked to the seller and he said both motor and vfd works either 110 or 220v. I set the input voltage on vfd to 110v and motor output voltage to 110v. It works. Then i tried 220v as the motor output and still works. In bot cases vdf shows only motor draws 1.1A idle at 24k rpm. Is it possible?. Motor does not hv any label if its 110 or 220. Seller does not clearly mentions either. If its a real 220v motor running it at 110 will lower the power. On the other hand if its 110v, applying 220v long time can damage it.

What can i do to sort this thing out. Is there anyway to check the motor rated voltage by measuring or something?.

Thanks

Re: Chinese spindle vfd help

This part of the problem when you buy something from the Chinese market. They usually leave you guessing because the documentation is not provided or is not available.

I would run the motor at 220V to be safe.

Which VFD did you receive? And which parameter specifies the input voltage? I'm looking to do the same thing with 110v until I can get 220v.
    KL-4530 CNC, KL-6060, 5 3D printers, CNC Fusion Converted LMS Milling Machine, 60w Laser Cutter

cnc_rosh

If you have 220v ac supply then you should be using it, you will get a better performance from your spindle motor

It also depends what VFD you got, some have a doubler built in, which would need to be configured, this you then can have use 110v ac input with 220V output from the VFD which your spindle motor really needs to work correctly, your spindle motor is 220v 3 Phase 2 pole
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by Sockles View Post
    Which VFD did you receive? And which parameter specifies the input voltage? I'm looking to do the same thing with 110v until I can get 220v.
    Mine has no serial nor model no nothing. Just a sticker with 220V. PD008 sets the input voltage.

Mactec54:

I dont hv access to 220v. Is there anyway for you to say my motor is 220v for sure?

cnc_rosh, what is your situation? rented space with only 120v? at home with only 120?
    If you have access to the breaker panel it may be easier than you think to run 240v to where you need it.

This is a rented apartment with no access to breakers.

cnc_rosh

Yes for sure it is 220v 3 Phase, If you are using a VFD, you will have 3 power wires & a Ground from your spindle motor to the VFD

It seems also that they do offer a 120v spindle, are there any Spec markings on your spindle, unless you ordered the 120v spindle you would of got the 220v as standard
    Mactec54

cnc_rosh

Do you have a clothes dryer, if it is electric it will be 220v or your Stove will also be 220v, if it is electric
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    cnc_rosh

Do you have a clothes dryer, if it is electric it will be 220v or your Stove will also be 220v, if it is electric
    No dryer, stove is gas.

BTW i found something interesting.

the VFD was giving 'dL' error and the seller wanted me to check it with a local repair station to fix it. All the out put circuit has gone bad and asking for a replacement now.

Meanwhile i checked the circuit little bit. It inputs 110 or 220 and outputs 110 or 220 depending on the input we used. The circuit (PCB) is really designed with a voltage doubler and it was disabled. Its just a matter of flipping the caps and put them in series instead of parallel now. PCB is designed for series, which means 110 - > 220 out. With a few mins of works anyone should be able to convert it to 110 input and 220 out. But it would really nice if we can add few more caps to smooth the DC. Which will be few dollars on ebay.

If you want 220v, and you have receptacles run from both sides of a breaker panel (likely), there is a device that will work for you.
    Quick 220 Systems

You can easily make such a device, but without the protections that are built in to keep from shocking people if not used correctly.
    I wouldn't recommend making one yourself, if you are not familiar with electricity and the dangers of working with it.

Quote Originally Posted by alan_3301 View Post
    If you want 220v, and you have receptacles run from both sides of a breaker panel (likely), there is a device that will work for you.
    Quick 220 Systems.
    You have to remember that using something like this, it is easy to overload the 110v circuit, you Double the Amps for that circuit when you do this, & most are only rated for 15/20 amps
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by cnc_rosh View Post
    BTW i found something interesting.

the VFD was giving 'dL' error and the seller wanted me to check it with a local repair station to fix it. All the out put circuit has gone bad and asking for a replacement now.

Meanwhile i checked the circuit little bit. It inputs 110 or 220 and outputs 110 or 220 depending on the input we used. The circuit (PCB) is really designed with a volta

ge doubler and it was disabled. Its just a matter of flipping the caps and put them in series instead of parallel now. PCB is designed for series, which means 110 - > 220 out. With a few mins of works anyone should be able to convert it to 110 input and 220 out. But it would really nice if we can add few more caps to smooth the DC. Which will be few dollars on ebay.

The dl error means you fryed the IBGT's from not setting the VFD with the correct Parameters
    Mactec54

3 IGBTs shorted, including SMD glass diodes. Anyone knows what type of diodes are those?

3 IGBTs shorted, including SMD glass diodes. Anyone knows what type of diodes are those?
    They are IN4746A the IBGT is a FGH80N60FDTU which seems to do the job
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    They are IN4746A the IBGT is a FGH80N60FDTU which seems to do the job
    Datasheet shows that IN4746A is a 100v zener. When i measure the voltage across (not the damaged side) it shows 7v. Strange. My IGBTs are 15N120H. I have a bunch of 17N80C3 around and can i replace them for testing?. I have a current limited for 110v just incase. What do you think?

Datasheet shows that IN4746A is a 100v zener. When i measure the voltage across (not the damaged side) it shows 7v. Strange. My IGBTs are 15N120H. I have a bunch of 17N80C3 around and can i replace them for testing?. I have a current limited for 110v just incase. What do you think?
    Yes they are a zeners the IGBT 15N120H, is double the voltage of the FGH80N60FDTU, they have had so much trouble with these VFD Drives they just doubled the IGBT's voltage, but it did not serve you any better than the old IBGT's, I would put back the same as what is in there,you don't want to smoke anything else in the Drive
    Mactec54