587,514 active members*
2,926 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > I'm trying to justify buying a machine.....Can I use a Tormach to make steel molds?

Hybrid View

Re: I'm trying to justify buying a machine.....Can I use a Tormach to make steel mold

I simply can't thank you guys enough! *tentative group hug*

Besides this thread, I got pm of shops offering to quote, offering advice if they were too far away....and in one case, offering as much help as I need. I especially like to thank Steve Seebold for graciously offering his time and expertise........including the privileged of paying the alimony of his first 6 wives, several concubines and the note on his private jet! :drowning:

The next couple of days will be interesting. Based on what happened today and the quote tomorrow, either I'm subcontracting it....or I own a VMC by next week.

Re: I'm trying to justify buying a machine.....Can I use a Tormach to make steel mold

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1 View Post
    I simply can't thank you guys enough! *tentative group hug*

Besides this thread, I got pm of shops offering to quote, offering advice if they were too far away....and in one case, offering as much help as I need. I especially like to thank Steve Seebold for graciously offering his time and expertise........including the privileged of paying the alimony of his first 6 wives, several concubines and the note on his private jet! :drowning:

The next couple of days will be interesting. Based on what happened today and the quote tomorrow, either I'm subcontracting it....or I own a VMC by next week.
    Gee Peter, you flatter me beyond my wildest dream. Fortunately, my 6 ex wives have all remarried, so no more alimony for them, and the concubines were more trouble than they were worth, and the last my 16 children just finished the 8th grade. Jeez, you'd think after 16 kids I might have learned what a zipper was for.

I'm happy you have found a machine that will do what you want to do. When you get ready to buy some cutters, let me know and I'll get you hooked up with a company that makes some great end mills for cutting stainless steel.

Have the Haas guy check out your machine really thoroughly. It might cost you 3 or $400.00, but you'd be better off to pay that than buy a junk machine.

I have a truck coming next Wednesday to move my machine, then I'm going to be down for about 4 weeks. I'm moving out of my garage into a 2,000 sq. ft. building. I figured since I don't have to pay any more alimony I am going to create the ultimate hobby chop. I bought 2 Haas VF3 mills with side arm tool changers, 4th axis, chip conveyors and 10K spindles. Next month, I'm going to buy a Haas ST10Y lathe.

Now the jet is another story. I traded that for a new 32 foot motor home. I got the better end of that deal.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    Gee Peter, you flatter me beyond my wildest dream. Fortunately, my 6 ex wives have all remarried, so no more alimony for them, and the concubines were more trouble than they were worth, and the last my 16 children just finished the 8th grade. Jeez, you'd think after 16 kids I might have learned what a zipper was for.

I'm happy you have found a machine that will do what you want to do. When you get ready to buy some cutters, let me know and I'll get you hooked up with a company that makes some great end mills for cutting stainless steel.

Have the Haas guy check out your machine really thoroughly. It might cost you 3 or $400.00, but you'd be better off to pay that than buy a junk machine.

I have a truck coming next Wednesday to move my machine, then I'm going to be down for about 4 weeks. I'm moving out of my garage into a 2,000 sq. ft. building. I figured since I don't have to pay any more alimony I am going to create the ultimate hobby chop. I bought 2 Haas VF3 mills with side arm tool changers, 4th axis, chip conveyors and 10K spindles. Next month, I'm going to buy a Haas ST10Y lathe.

Now the jet is another story. I traded that for a new 32 foot motor home. I got the better end of that deal.

I heard....the boaters happiest days were the day he bought it..........and the day he sold it.

Back in the day were money was made by the wheelbarrow, I had a fantasy of buying a 50 foot passagemaker. Steel hulled, diesel, long range serious piece of hardware. Then after renting one for a week and cruising the Lakes, well, besides costing a small fortune in gas and expenses, I was fit to be tied. You can't do anything on a boat besides being on a boat.

Anywho.....

If you are going to move to a facility, how long will it be before you want or need to make money on the "hobby"?