587,143 active members*
3,603 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Unigraphics or Mastercam alternatives??

Unigraphics or Mastercam alternatives??

Hello all, this is my first post here and I'm looking for some input. I have been a cnc programmer and machinist for 16 years now and have used several of the high end big name software packages, but my favorites are Unigraphics/NX/U-G and Mastercam. I recently bought a Taig cnc mill for home hobby type use and am deciding what to do for cam software. My problem is that I have a very limited budget and I'm guessing that most of the inexpensive software is going to be a disappointment for me now. What are the best alternatives out there on a low budget? Which are the most like Unigraphics or Mastercam? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Unigraphics or Mastercam alternatives??

For 2.5D try FILOU NC12

I am hoping for full 3d capabilities, but don't know how much I will truly need them. I just know myself and don't want to feel disappointed and/or limited. I didn't find a ton of info on filou with a quick search. Will have to do more research.

As long as you do not have freeform surfaces, I would recomend to stay away from 3D. Everybody wants 3D, but the truth is that most 3D programs wont do a good job in 2,5D work. Which as you said is most of your work. For FILOU NC have a look here.

Thanks for your input. I had already found the page you sent the link to. It is in rather broken English, so reading it all takes some effort. Do they sell it on that site? I haven't found a place to download or order it, and therefore haven't even found a price yet.

Yea thats true, not really the best translation. Yes tey sell it on that page, I think it starts at about 180$, but you need to be logged in to download. I forgot that it was a bit of a struggle to log in, because the registration page is only in german. But if you want to try it, I will look if I still have the download link. It is free to try for 30days.

We'll, it is worth me at least looking into. I can totally see me wanting 3d capabilities since I use them every day at work, but the price range is right for hobbyist use.

Nope, I'm sorry the link I have was only good for a few weeks after purchase, so the only thing I can do is email you the file with the 30 day key.