587,828 active members*
2,775 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > rust & poor temp/humidity control & bolting Zinc to a mill

Hybrid View

Re: rust & poor temp/humidity control & bolting Zinc to a mill

I also use ro/di water for coolant mix. My home has a ro/di filter system with ro piped to tank below sink "for coffee" and ro/di water piped to 50 gal storage tank in utility room for other uses .

Off topic a little
    I was thinking somewhatlost mentioned he resides in the Florida area. The lightning capitol of America.
    I would like to know how people use cnc machines during storms. I delayed projects because of thunderstorms this week
    The equipment is so expensive and its not like you can run to store and buy parts.
    md

I do not operate in a storm period, here the power goes out fairly regular in a storm, the voltage spikes arent Mach/windows friendly either.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    I also use ro/di water for coolant mix. My home has a ro/di filter system with ro piped to tank below sink "for coffee" and ro/di water piped to 50 gal storage tank in utility room for other uses .

Off topic a little
    I was thinking somewhatlost mentioned he resides in the Florida area. The lightning capitol of America.
    I would like to know how people use cnc machines during storms. I delayed projects because of thunderstorms this week
    The equipment is so expensive and its not like you can run to store and buy parts.
    md
    mike sr

Off topic a little
    I know there are "Topic Nazi's" or whatever you would call them, who get all upset and stuff when topics wander a bit, I am not sure why?, but me personally, I prefer off topic... it keeps things interesting...

md
    nope I am in (mostly) Storm Free Illinois(TM), a couple miles from the Wisconsin border, the great(?) state that is home to the Tormach mothership... well like 50 or 60 miles to the border I think... actually I am in a 'burb of Chicago... so just kinda sorta close depending on your perspective...

anyway, on the rare instance that there is a storm, I generally either shutdown the machine and run for the house or let the machine finish while I run for the house... (the down side of having your tormach in a shed )

also, I am just a hobbyist, and I am not sure that label is even accurate, as I really am not all that interested in the machining side of stuff per se, I just got my mill so I could make stuff, ie the mill is just a tool to help with my other hobbies, or the end result/part is more important to me than the whole machining process... as such, my machine can (and does) sit idle for months while I plan my next project that may or may not require milling...

so I end up with a usage patten of: mill runs for somewhere between 30 minutes to a day or so, then sits for months...

I am using whatever coolant tormach sold when I got my mill, it is mixed well, and when fresh, and in those few rare cases where I used my mill weekly, it does seem to do a good job of keeping the rust away... but that is not my standard usage pattern, and I really don't want to have to replace the coolant before every 30 (at the minimum) minute 'milling cycle' or whatever you would call it...

I have also tried the spray the table down with WD40 and STARRETT M1 (not at the same time), the M1 seems to last longer than the WD40, but neither really last months in my environment...

so I am looking for plan B....
    (or maybe plan C, depending on how you count it)