587,082 active members*
2,666 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: Increasing Bridgeport spindle speed.

I triggered mine with the output from the VFD when it was at-zero-speed (set by parameter), I also had a manual overide button if I wanted to rotate the spindle.
    the automatic brake at zero is used due to the Quick change 300 tooling.
    In CNC applications, I also use the wait for the VFD up-to-speed signal when a M3/M4 is issued.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I have been using a VFD with 3ph motor up to now, but I am changing to a fixed belt ratio at the same time as increasing the spindle speed to 6000rpm, and I will be trying a DC motor. I have a suitable motor and controller doing nothing so it is a no cost test. If I don't like it then I'll go back to the usual VFD and larger 3ph motor which I don't currently have.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    I triggered mine with the output from the VFD when it was at-zero-speed (set by parameter), I also had a manual overide button if I wanted to rotate the spindle.
    the automatic brake at zero is used due to the Quick change 300 tooling.
    In CNC applications, I also use the wait for the VFD up-to-speed signal when a M3/M4 is issued.
    Al.
    What you are doing is the norm for a setup like this, a spindle brake is just that, used for doing tool changes, it should never play any part of stopping the spindle that is driven by a VFD

The Brake used on this machine can be activated Manual Auto or Off, in Auto it is controlled through the ladder logic in the control software, & is never used to stop the spindle as the VFD can do this better than a Brake could, When a Brake is fitted to a Spindle, it's main use is for doing a tool change, or can be used also for holding the spindle, when cutting keyways
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    a spindle brake is just that, used for doing tool changes, it should never play any part of stopping the spindle that is driven by a VFD
    So is it a BAD idea to use a mechanical break to stop the spindle or is it just unnecessary? I can stop the spindle VERY quickly with Bridgeport's mechanical break. I have a hard time believing that a VFD would stop it as quickly....
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900 - 1944)