587,686 active members*
3,537 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Anyone have experience with OPENcnc?

My shop is planning to retrofit a K&T hmc. So far, we've looked at Camsoft and Centroid. Because of open architecture, Camsoft wins out over Centroid.
    Now, we've come across OPENcnc. This is the only retrofit we've seen that lists several large companies as users and 2 oem's as users of their product.
    Do any readers here have experience using OPENcnc? Would you or your shop choose to use it again? Any and all comments are welcome, good or bad.

Thanks,

Ray

I thought OneCnc only did CAM software.

Do you have links to this product?

Carlo

Carlo is correct. OneCNC is not a machine controller.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Red face Oops, My Bad. OPENcnc, not ONEcnc

Okay,

I meant to say OPENcnc, NOT ONEcnc. With that little detail out of the way, my question should make more sense.

The Open CNC people are nice but boy when they get you their clutches the price goes way up and they their responsibly goes way down. They want extra money for the development package for first timers and don't take responsibility for the hardware. They also don't want to support the soft PLC logic. You have to hire an dealer to write your machine logic for you plus hire a C++ programmer to customize the screen for you.

I didn't buy their product so all I can comment on is my experience and opinion of with their sales people. The company had a shake up a while back and lots of people left. The guy I spoke with is gone to.

Cam soft is a far much better product and accomplishes all the task the Open CNC claim for a fraction of the price.

I would check with Delta Tau. I've used their stuff in the past, and altho it can be somewhat complicated, it's also state of the art. I think the cnc controls they sell now are much simpler to get going. The possibilities are endless. I'm quite sure their motion control card is much more developed than the Galil card Camsoft uses.