587,380 active members*
4,206 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

should your spindle do this???

I posted a thread in the general woodworking machine sub forum but havent got any help. Anyway I installed a new 400w spindle on my cnc 63020 and now the Z axis depth is off. Its taking too little off from side to side. I noticed that my spindle moves up and down when I push it up. Here is a video I took. I am just wondering if this could be why this is happening. Please let me know if this video is working. Thanks so much! This is driving me nuts so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!

Unhappy Re: should your spindle do this???

Us ill,

Your "spindle" is actually a d.c. motor with some sort of make shift er collet adapter.

The motor in the video you posted has bearings that do not control axial loads.

Return it and purchase a real "spindle"

Jeff...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bearing.jpg  
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Re: should your spindle do this???

New CNC 3020 Router Engraving Drilling Milling Machine | eBayHi there,
    The only problem is... the spindle that came on the cnc was perfectly fine and cut perfectly. Just got to be not strong enough. So why would it change. Here is a link of the cnc I have. Any more input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks fellas!

Can anyone else offer me any advice on this? Anyone? I really need to figure it out and im not sure why the last spindle that came on the machine worked perfectly and this one won't? Please and thank you!

I just dont think the spindle should move up and down like that but I could be wrong. Does anyone know??

Us ill,

Very simple, the new spindle you purchased is not designed correctly.

A makeshift collet adapter mounted to a d.c. motor is a sloppy attempt at spindle engineering.

I would be happy to explain in detail (talk) if you would like to p.m. your phone number since I do not want to type several pages of inefficient dialog.

Either way have a most awesome afternoon.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Quote Originally Posted by Us ill View Post
    I just dont think the spindle should move up and down like that but I could be wrong. Does anyone know??
    Us ill,

A CNC spindle should not shift up and down like the one you posted in the video, the bearings are not controlling axial position.

Jeff...