4,291 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 3 123
    Hi Bill,

Thanks for your support.

Ashish

Re: Macro program to calculate circle centre

First I want to say this was an awesome program that I have tested on my new Okuma p300 with some translation needed and it works.
    I have a renishaw rmp60 part probe.
    My question is if you do not make contact on the quadrants of the probe won't the results be skewed a little?

Realistically it depends on the accuracy of the probe and how soon it triggers on contact. With perfect accuracy it will have zero impact, of course we all know that isn't the case.

The further the probing point/path is off from center to the touch point the more possible error
    The smaller the hole the more error
    The longer the probe takes to trigger the more possible error

If I understand your concern, with 3 point vs 4 point any error is not balanced by the opposite point...
    Assuming you probe from center out instead of in a triangle path it shouldn't be bad until you get to smaller diameters. I'm not going to try to figure out the proper math, but a ball park would probably be less than 30% of the difference between the actual radius and the contact radius when the hole is off center.
    IE. (ignoring probe diameter) If X is off by 0.015" on a 1.0" hole when probing from center to Y+ the contact will be at 1.7deg and .4998 instead of .5 I would expect the error to be sub 0.0001"

I'm using this for outside diameter touches on a 6" round boss. The issue is I am only able to contact less than 90 degrees of the O.D. If I am probing vertically down and I am at let's say the 2 o'clock position when the probe makes contact with the O.D. The probe kicks sideways and is triggered even if the probe is not depressed vertically. Thus allowing an error in measurement I think because the probe is using the Ruby diameter but it not touching on a quadrant of the probe. Maybe I'm way off base but it seems like this is what's happening. Sorry for not being able to explain it better. What do you think?

I think I see your issue. Probe at the angle of the contact point, towards the center point not just in X or Y.
    Then as long as your touch probe is qualified against known features you should fine. That should be handled by your probe macros.

Yes that is my issue. I don't believe I can probe with 2 different axis moving but I will look into it. This machine is an
    Okuma Mcr - A5C II double column. Bed size is 78" X 236".
    Thanks for your help.

Yes that is my issue. I don't believe I can probe with 2 different axis moving but I will look into it. This machine is an
    Okuma Mcr - A5C II double column. Bed size is 78" X 236".
    Thanks for your help.

I don't know if or why any machine might not be capable of dual axis skip. It is just a stop motion on signal and that should apply to 1-x number of axis as long as the probe supports it but you never know.
    I checked, and out macros for Toyoda machines did not include macros for multi axis probing, but the Renishaw macros from our Mazak machines does include it. Renishaw actually includes the 3 point circle/boss probing routines as well. If you have a Renishaw probe, see if you can get the macros from them, but you would probably have to pay for it, about $1000. Inspection Plus - software for machining centres Also found this CNC Write - Rotary and Linear Axis Engraving if anyone has and is interested in 3-D probing with the Renishaw macros.

Page 3 of 3 123